'Star Wars Battlefront' Getting More Free Content, 'Bespin' Expansion Slated For June

Status
Not open for further replies.
This game looks and sounds fantastic, but once I got past the Star Wars and the nostalgia and what not, I can't find it all that fun no matter how hard I've tried. I maxed out my level (50) the 3rd or 4th week after the game was released and they didn't have the first DLC until 4 or 5 months later accompanied by a level max increase, hutt contracts and new weapons, etc... (although the free rekku map was available in Dec).

It definitely lacks the fun factor of previous SW Battlefronts even though it looks so darned good. How is that? Maybe they should introduce elements of Titanfall by which there are AI stormtroopers or rebels to shoot at (as with the Fighter Squadron mode)? Maybe they could introduce common group missions such as those from Destiny?

I think what they attempted to do with this game is to make it a nerfed Battlefield game with limited weapons and different skins and they just rolled with it.

Like I said, the game looks and sounds fantastic, I just don't feel compelled to stick with it for more than a round or two every couple of weeks now.

sirstinky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012

I'm a big Star Wars fan and was really excited for this game. Once I read reviews and got my have on it and some game time, I realized that it's nothing like the older Battlefront. I like the game overall, but I am also dissapointed by the lack of a campaign mode and more maps (no space battles!). I didn't play the Battlefield games hardly at all but I played Battlefront 2 a lot. I keep hoping that EA listens and fills out a DLC with campaign mode (abs split screen) so I'm not playing the save thing over and over (multi-player gets old). I'm sure that those will be added eventually but who knows when or if it will be in this release.

I agree. A good campaign mode would be a lot more fun than the current single-player survival mode. BF3 and BF4, while having short campaigns, still had solid fun games.

Also, I think the single thing I can't get past with SWBF is the fact that damage almost immediately heals. Because of this, I wish there were a hardcore mode in SWBF.

It sounds like we're asking for a lot, but I mean seriously if they are going to charge us BF4 money for this game, we should expect nothing less than BF4-type content. In BF4, even if you aren't a K/D god, you can effectively contribute to your team in multi-player conquest mode primarily because the maps are so large and spread out allowing you to sneak to cap a flag. In SWBF, I feel like half of the time I'm sitting on the barrel of an enemy blaster with my spawns when playing 'Blast'.

surphninja

Honorable
May 14, 2013
Lack of content isn't the biggest issue. If they're not fixing the gameplay, then all of the free content in the world won't make a difference. Take away the Star Wars branding, and you have one of the worst designed shooters of the last decade.

It's basically like a terrible hot dog stand in a great location. Even if you have the worst hot dogs in the world, if you set up your stand in times square, you're still gonna make bank.

sirstinky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
Yes, the inclusion of campaign move would make me buy the season pass, but for now I'm holding off. It's not worth it now for $60 to get more weapons and maps, but it's still more of the same. The Hutt contracts are nice, but unless you're really good at the game and have lots of time to play then it's a lot of effort to get a new blaster or trait. I miss the old Battlefront. They made it challenging and fun, but the new one is frustratingly difficult. I agree that you can't sit still for more than 30 seconds without being killed. Maps are too small and crowded and they need to bring back campaign modes. All of the other Star Wars titles did. This really is just a reskinned BF4 with no campaign mode and less weapon customization.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
Star Wars license is one of the series with most stories... making a multi-player ONLY game with no campaign/storyline is a big waste. Only the retard EA will keep trying to put (stupid) stories in Need for Speed series but do the opposite for Star Wars.

Another problem with the PC version and multiplayer...

Not enough players to start a round. I tried walker assault, supremacy, droid run, and drop zone for around an hour this morning. I sat in the lobby waiting for enough players to join. While waiting, I got up, did some things around the house sat back down and then changed to the next mode. I gave each around 20 minutes of lobby time.

There are simply not enough players of this game on PC to even start a multi-player round and it's been out for half a year. Compare this to BF4 when a year and a half later, you can still find a game any time of the day and you know there are simply elements of Battlefront that make it so most people really don't want to play it a whole lot.

The unfortunate part is Disney now has full control over the storyline. As we saw in the most recent Star Wars movie (Force Awakens), there isn't much they're using from the existing novels of the Star Wars expanded universe whatsoever.

I wish Disney would be more in tune with the expanded universe, but they've made it clear they have no intention.

Would have been nice to see a campaign mode involving the Nightsisters of Dathomir with their pet rancors or even co-op battles against the Chiss, though these things will likely be erased from Disney's version of Star Wars.

mrv_co

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2016
I still can't make heads or tails out of EA's pricing scheme for the game, season pass and "free" DLC. And are you required to pay $49.99 / year for the season passs?

sirstinky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012

You know it's bad when Star Wars fans don't want to play the game they've been waiting for for 10 years 8( To be fair, this isn't the game they (and myself) were expecting. It was a spectacular let down. I am not sure why the PC game fares so poorly compared to the consoles? I never have issues finding a game on PS4.

If you're playing between 9AM and 9PM on PC, there will often be one server for each mode by which there are enough players for a round. Any time outside of that range and you often won't find a game. Also, even during peak hours, if you are playing on a server of a particular game mode and find the matches are entirely one-sided and then go to try to find another server, there will only be that particular server available with enough players.

I played yesterday to accomplish a Hutt contract and got the Rodian blaster. I felt a sense of accomplishment there because I'm not that great and you have to get 15 blaster pistol kills in a round + 30 pistol kills in Blast mode, but I found that I no longer earn credits for anything after the rounds are over? Is that a bug I wonder?

At any rate, I did have some fun with it yesterday, but when the contests became one-sided on the server, I backed out and only that server was available when I tried to go back in. Same group of players.

Just an FYI... I'm trying to give this game a real shot. I'm starting to knock off some of the Hutt contracts. Just about 8PM in my time zone and there are two people on my side and two on the other side waiting to play 'Supremacy' mode (like BF4 conquest). The game will not start unless there are 10v10 available. Have been sitting in the lobby for 20 minutes. I tried to get in a 'Walker Assault' mode game and it's the same story. It's just too darn bad that not many people are playing this.

Took another 10 minutes and then another server became available. They improved on the load times between maps compared to BF4, but just getting in a game can be tough even when before 10AM and after 5PM.

sirstinky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012

That's sad. It seems the console crowd is more forgiving than the PC crowd. As far as Disney having license rights to Star Wars, I don't know if that is helpful or harmful, but from what I have seen, it hasn't been enough to elevate the brand to the way it used to be. Force Awakens really needs some serious thought for the sequels. As far as the legacy for games, I cut my teeth on X-Wing vs Tie Fighter on PC (windows 98). Played many many hours and then after a lull in gaming, went back to the original Battefront for PC, then the second on console, now this one. I've never been more disillusioned by a Star Wars video game. What happened? Was it EA and Dice? The way production and development changed hands over the years? Disney licensing? No campaigns? No split screen for missions? No space battles? No clones? No Yoda? EA- listen! People want those things. I'll keep playing it, but i'll never love it as much as the older versions.

sirstinky

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012

You buy the "Season Pass" and it gives you access to the paid content like Bespin and Outer Rim DLC's related content. I am not sure if there will be other DLC's not part of the Season Pass though. If it's like they do in BF or like Destiny, then there will most likely be multiple DLC's you pay extra for not part of Season Pass.

The quick way to level up is through Fighter Squadron mode. I have a full-time job plus a family and played about 30 minutes each evening when the game was first released and 6 hours over Saturday and Sunday. Didn't take too long. I rarely sleep more than five hours a night so I maximize awake hours fitting in games when everyone is sleeping. Then I go do the things dads do when the rest of the family is awake. But it really didn't take that long compared to other games to get to level 50.

I'm actually starting to enjoy this game a little more forcing myself to play more for the first time since the recent DLC. I'm getting used to the whole health regen and have completed two of the Hutt contracts. The game looks and sounds amazing. Positional audio isn't as good as battlefield. The movement is pretty natural with the exception of the forest maps by which you get that constant toe-caught-on-the-rock feeling as with Battlefield. Still when I shoot at things some of the time, it can be unpredictable whether or not the hit will register. Also, Greedo is one bad mother so watch out when the imperials get that hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS