'Star Wars Battlefront II' Players Outraged Over Progression System, Microtransactions

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saunupe1911

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2016
Also I want to point out that I love EA and Star Wars as a whole. But I didn't buy Madden for the first time since 1996...now that's saying something! Never bought Battlefront game. Simply wasn't good enough to me.

MicroTransactions are cool if you are truly giving good content. But fair is fair. NBA 2k has a perfect balance IMO. I play tons of normal ball games. This adds up to a lot of points over time for MyPlayer attributes and other things. Truly rewarding. But most importantly they update content regularly throughout the year. The Devs never stop working. They are adding to a finished product. I'm not paying to unlock content that I've supposedly already bought. EA is just BEGGING for this game to be massively pirated. Their mobile games are even worse....honestly pathetic!

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
EA is toning down and backing off, but once the anger subsides, they will just gradually keep pushing the threshold. Sorry, but idiocracy members outnumber toms readers. There was a day when commercial filled television was free.

Unperson

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010

There are many cases where you can apply the "those darn millennials" vitriol. This isn't one of them. I don't have a problem "earning a reward". I do have a problem with "pay to win". You do realize that "pay to win" should have no place in video games, right?

In the real world, some people are richer. Most of them earned that money so they have the right to luxury, prestige, and higher position. They own nicer homes and property, they get access to things first or that others will never get to, they have more power in general. A superiority soup stocked with "capitalism at its finest", "dog eat dog", "to the victor go the spoils, "survival of the fittest", ad nauseum.

Do the benefits of having a bigger bank account entitle you to an advantage in a competitive video game with others less fortunate than you? It shouldn't.. ..AT ALL! How is it an even playing field if richer players have better gear, tools, or options? It's not about skill at that point. It's not about who is the better player. It just becomes an instance of a rich person using their wealth to buy a positive outcome at the expense of the premise of the venue. The game becomes pointless.

Let's use logic. Some believe micro-transactions are okay. They have some income they can throw at a game so what's the big deal? Let's say one of those people play this game. Over the course of 6 months, they paid for the original game, then made several transactions in the months afterwards. Let's say they cumulatively spent $500 (thus far). Does this make sense? $500? For a video game? If $500 is okay, then is $1,000? $5,000? You know EA won't stop with this if it keeps working.

Look.. ..real life already rewards the wealthy with a better life and that's fine. Video games are a chance for people to escape real life. To not have to deal with real life inadequacies imposed stature or position. Micro-transactions rob people of the ability to face each other as equals on a fictional battlefield where "may the best man win" really means something. Don't pollute that with greed and laziness.

You see, that's the REAL point. You implied that the young felt "entitled" or "impatient", but what are the wealthy doing by paying to win? Are they not paying more because they feel they are "entitled" to not to have to be "patient"? Who are you really addressing in your post?

In the end, I won't be playing this. I don't support games that use micro-transactions. I know many say that and then end playing anyways. I have a good track record of not playing these types of games so I'm comfortable taking the "they won't get my money" stance. I do get burned once in a while when a developer slips in transactions after the fact. Those same developers will rarely see another dime from me.

You can all do what you want. If the worse happens and every game becomes "pay to win", then I'll read a book, take a walk, live life, do.. ..stuff. It won't be the first time greed has damped humanity, it won't be the last. C'est la whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.