Star Wars Galaxies Players File Suit Against Sony

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
[citation][nom]SWGiscrap[/nom]Just play World of Warcraft and get over SWG. it was crap when it came out, its crap in 2005 before the CU upgrade, and now, big surprise, its ending. Crap Crap Crap.[/citation]

SWG was fantastic fun prior to the CU. Not sure i'd go back to it if they opened up a free community server, but the memories are dear to me.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
EVE Online is a nice alternative for science fiction fans. It has tremendous depth and gameplay. 40,000 players all on one server, spread out over countless star systems.

guantan

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
I still can't believe the one person that caused the NGE and customer base to leave is now/still the President of SOE.

razzb3d

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
How is this: "promoting an online petition causes disruption within the community and does not provide gameplay feedback that our development team can use."/ closing topics and banning players who speak out any different from communist/autocratic governments banning social networks and free speech?

K3vBot6000

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
I don't play SWG but I think every game has a time and with the new MMORPG coming out it makes sense that they will shut down due to the shift that will likely take place. It sucks for the players but it is better to have played and lost than to have never played at all.

G

If people were paying closer attention, they'd realize that it's not The Old Republic that is prompting the end of Galaxies, but Pottermore.

falconqc

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
I'm not surprised at what Sony does anymore. The forums cried out when they pushed NCE and CU. Worst case of screwing your customers ever. I'm surprised at how long it lasted considering 90% of the server population disappeared after that. SOE only has themselves to blame for the flop SWG became.

I remember Theed, Coronet and a few other spaceports being filled with players selling goods and services to one another. I went back maybe a year after Jedi became a starting class... Those places were ghost towns.

I tried the SWGEmu recently and there are a lot of people playing it. It's good old SWG the way it was meant to be played.

I'll probably never play another SOE game again. The only exception is planetside 2, if it ever comes out, but I am sure SOE will find a way to mess that one up too.

G

SWG players are the biggest cry babies in the history of gaming. They stop playing long ago yet want the game to go on. Give me a break, it can't on standing with anyy decent MMO. It was not a good game from day one. Even FFXI, a japanese pwns the SWG MMO. 500k subscribers vs the 50k and dropping of SWG. The game was changed so much because of the rapid fanbase of game that loves to complain. They love to troll other game forums.

G

I agree to most things said here, and though while I know this is slightly off-topic, I would suggest that the SOE team did amazing things with SWG AFTER the NGE. As a disgruntled player, I quite during the FPS time of the NGE and came back once they reinstituted the normal MMO play style and most of the professions, albeit as a compliment (Spec) to the 9 that they have now. SWG post NGE (I wouldn't call it NGE because it's nothing like that now) had an end-game that gave players thousands of things to do, far beyond the expectations of pre-CU, or the normal raid/pvp end game of most all other MMOs. It wasn't presented to you in such a way that you would know, however, you needed to actively search the wiki to understand how to go about discovering the content of end-game advancements...which is a pain for most I am sure. I have been pleasantly surprised with a good portion of the updates, considering what the dev's had to work with. I have played a large portion of MMOs and I don't think we will ever see another MMO containing the freedom, depth, and maturity that SWG maintained. SWG was the most intellectual MMO on the market in my opinion.

G

I am so sick of people crying over how great the game was pre-cu. The game has so much more to offer now but unfortunately the negativity from pre-cu people killed the game. No other MMORPG offers what galaxies does and it's a shame it is shutting down. The new game from Bioware which is launching soon wont have the content to keep people over a long period of time.

G

I think they shoulds refund all the players the price we paid for the game and all the upgrades we paid for

G

I'm amazed these idiots think they have a shot in court. They agreed to the EULA, enough said.

G

SOE ruined SWG anyway when they pushed out the new game. Before that they ruined it when they took aways central and important classes. Still, for a while, with the Jedi village process of gaining initiate status and being able to start on the path to being a Jedi Knight, there was fun left in the game and the old click once shot/swing forever interface was working great. But the writing was on the wall. The day they made Entertainers irrelevant was the day the end was made certain. My Dancer was the joy of my gaming life. I spent many a night until the sun came up dancing in a Cantina for huge tips. But, typical of Sony / SOE, they ruined the game just as sure as they ruined Everquest.

G

John Smedley and Julio Torres should be castrated and hung! They ruined an incredibly deep and rich game and then were arrogant enough to ignore the damage they did after all the protests and complaints. Frankly, I am suprised the game lasted this long after the NGE came out. It was awesome while it lasted but the NGE was the final straw. Yes their management of the forums is draconian. Yes their treatment of the playerbase is horrendous. No, your not going to be able to sue them for shutting down the servers. No, your not going to be able to sue them for how they manage their forums. Farewell SWG. ah heck off SOE!

G

“Do or do not... there is no try.” Thus, as a dedicated, loyal, and excited SW Galaxies enthusiast from launch, I endured the nerfs, changes, "combat upgrade", CSR's meddling, and sometimes laughable "support" from SOE. Don't get me wrong, I loved the idea of the game, the content (mostly), and anticipation of a new planet (expansion) coming to a galaxy near you. But, as SOE devs "tried" to produce, manage, and execute a viable MMO, it was obvious the could not "do" it. Thus, as they seemingly struggled to "try" something else, "matters were worse." Case in point, when SOE decided to change the Jedi profession to a process of unlocking a force sensitive character through mastering three professions, players spent horrendous amounts of time guessing which professions to unlock. Many unlocked ALL of them and still did not "unlock." Bad decisions, inexperience, and arrogance produced player frustration. A lack of knowing what pleases its customers eventually lead to the mass exodus. It was inevitable. I too left, passionately hating SOE's devs and what the game had become, not because of some juvenile, shallow reason, but because my hopes were dashed, expectations disintegrated and, more importantly, I had been treated like I didn't matter, that I was just another cog in the wheel, when in fact, I later discovered I felt the same way thousands of others did. SOE, you can only blame yourself for killing a game that had tremendous potential and with a built in, loyal fan base. You forgot, the fans are loyal to Star Wars, not you. -"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm?"

G

Let me say this as a former player of SWG pre 2005 and actualy trying it after 2005 also and enjoying some of that content though the game was changed majorly..... I have started playing SWTOR, the story lines are great and so far it offers quite a few weeks of gameplay and interesting story lines for each class and each faction, the graphics are nice not great but nice, the game play is smooth and combat is simple point and click really..... which leaves something to be desired.... My only issues with SWTOR are the lack of options ...... Character creation is bland and while it has decent options its not enough everyone will have a twin or three .... the crafting system is not on par with other MMO's and not even close to the original SWG's crafting system..... and the major issue with the game is simply no freedom..... you are stuck following a storyline and while the story lines are good there are simply not enough options for everyone to enjoy.....
In my honest opinion if these gaming companies truly want to make a game that people will flock to they will look at the pre 2005 SWG Ultima online Anarchy online Eve Online and take the things that made and make those games great and put them together in one game..... That being said ... What this MMO player wants is options at every aspect of the game....
I dont want my character to look or sound like everyone else ..... give us options and lots of them ......
I dont want to follow a designated path......... Let us make our own choices .....
I dont want to have the same skills as everyone else..... Again give us options and lots of them.......
As far as PVP and ballance goes ....... If a brawl broke out in real life, Do you honestly think that fight is going to be even ? No every person in that brawl is going to fight differently and is going to attempt to get an advantage over everyone else.... balance is not needed ....... realism to a degree is .

G

I was a huge SWG fan back in the day. I played it diligently trying to unlock the coveted "Jedi" mode and LOVED the original skill grid system where you could specialize in whatever kind of weapon you wanted. I have yet to find another MMO that allowed players the freedom to use whichever weapon they choose instead of being locked in a class with armor/weapon restrictions. And then SOE changed the game drastically ... they did away with the skill grid, they let new players be Jedi from day 1, they forced a class system, and that was the day I canceled my accounts (i had two). The game became a grind, and while it was still Star Wars themed, it felt like every other MMO out at the time, and I no longer enjoyed it.

And now I'm in SWTOR and enjoying it just as much 'cause at heart, I'm a Star Wars fan. I find the game engaging enough, I enjoy the story lines and cinematics, and like every other MMO they're working out balance issues.

I digress...

I find some of these comments kind of funny to read, though, because Sony wasn't shutting the game down "just because" ... the license agreement EXPIRED. Lucas and his legal team had the choice to renew it and chose to re-license things to BioWare and EA. No class action lawsuit against SONY would ever change that. If Sony doesn't have the license, they can't run the game, pure and simple. Even in a free format. Lucas' legal team would shut down any property, free or otherwise, catering to games that used their properties without a proper license agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.