Discussion Star Wars Outlaws Requirements Revealed - Ridiculous

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
One other thing I want to point out, the 4k requirements are on GPUs that came out almost TWO YEARS AGO. Sorry I just don't see it as that ridiculous....
Because those GPUs still cost a left nut and right kidney today.

And you're missing the point that it's ridiculous that the 4090 and whatever the AMD one was will rely on upscaling. That means you're really playing 1440p @60.

1440 is around 1080ish using upscaling. I need a GPU that recent to be able to have a even moderate(ly enjoyable) experience?

If we support this, we'll be expected to upgrade cards every release cycle. Not only is that a drain on ones wallet but a ton of ewaste from perfectly capable cards that can play other games just fine at 1080 or 1440.

And let's not pretend this game is hardly groudlndbreskingly, jaw-droppingly out of this world good looking. It's about what Unreal engine can do running on a jelly doughnut powered PC without breaking a sweat but this Snowdrop engine of theirs requires comparatively a supercomputer to achieve the same graphical fidelity.

And lastly, there is no mention of it Upscaling implies frame generation, if it does, that's the final nail and this thing is completely DOA.

Last edited:
The system requirements for this are almost identical to the Avatar game (that required 5600X for high and balanced upscaling for 4k) which they released last year so I don't really see the problem. That means they have a pretty good idea as to what is required for the visuals being delivered so it's unlikely to be due to any rushed/hack job nature the game may or may not be.

XDefiant is the only other recent game with modern console/PC requirements also using the Snowdrop Engine, but given the esports nature shouldn't really be surprising that the system requirements are lower on it.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
The system requirements for this are almost identical to the Avatar game (that required 5600X for high and balanced upscaling for 4k) which they released last year so I don't really see the problem. That means they have a pretty good idea as to what is required for the visuals being delivered so it's unlikely to be due to any rushed/hack job nature the game may or may not be.

XDefiant is the only other recent game with modern console/PC requirements also using the Snowdrop Engine, but given the esports nature shouldn't really be surprising that the system requirements are lower on it.
I love Avatar but it still doesnt run perfectly on a 13700 and 4090 and 64GB of RAM. Definitely a demanding game but the visuals were there to match. That also uses Snowdrop.

Edit: Corrected post above i had Frostbite but meant Snowdrop which makes it worse that Avatar looks better and runs better (based on spec requirements) than Star Wars Outlaws. I am not an anti Star Wars guy, I actually had this preordered until I read that it's not what it seems and the requirements coming out reaffirms I made the right decision.

Last edited:
I love Avatar but it still doesnt run perfectly on a 13700 and 4090 and 64GB of RAM. Definitely a demanding game but the visuals were there to match. That also uses Snowdrop.
Yeah that, Outlaws and XDefiant are the only "big" games since The Division 2 to use it as the rest all had to run on mobile/Switch. To me it mostly means they've set a new minimum bar at least with regards to the single player titles. Assuming this is their trend going forward with games developed on the current version of Snowdrop I'm happier with high requirements that don't change rather than a constantly moving bar.