StarCraft 2 Players Get 1 Free Name Change

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
[citation][nom]booseek[/nom]While I'm sure profit is part of it, it is also a deterrent against those "shady" players that itadakimasu mentioned. If you cheat, badmouth, etc. and are caught, and your name goes out there, then many people will know about it. And if Blizzard wishes to fulfill their vision of StarCraft II as an e-sport, then one record, one permanent name, and one account makes sense to me.[/citation]
I totally agree with what you're saying and I know what you mean. But in BC2, the clan tag line was more a pre-fix if you will. Your username is never changed, that is permanent forever on that character. For example, LiquidTLO, a famous player, his clan would be Liquid, and his handle is TLO. So what I meant was that the Liquid part could be like smaller above his name or something, so if he happens to change clans, he wouldnt' have to go through this process. It wasn't meant to be a total name changer. So if I had it my way, if I were to search up TLO, no matter what clan he is in, I would still find the same player. :)

G

uhhhh, clearly the $10 fee has nothing to do with preventing abuse and everything to do with ripping customers off. For the 2% of the population out there who will be jerks, they'll either not care if they are known for being a jerk, or they'll just pay the $10 fee if they feel they must have a new name. For the other 98% of us who decided that we picked a lousy screename, we'll be stuck with it for life or have to be a random arbitrary fee for something every other game on the planet has allowed since the dawn of time. I mean really now, charging money to change a player name? Whats next, charging money to reconfigure my keys? A $5 mouse aim surcharge fee? $12 to get resolutions higher than 1600x1200? The list goes on, you sheep are setting a dangerous precedent here. Quit being so easily manipulated.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Yeah that is actually not a big deal. A lot of games have been doing this for long. Of course, WoW still beats the competition with paid name change, faction change and server change. Want to switch your Tauren of Akama to a Human on Exodar? Fork over the 70$ pal. At least, you can change your name in the process...

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
wow blizzard is just geting more tight fisted all the damn time. that aside i really lost interest in this companies games when all they did was start raking in cash from WoW, i remeber when thier games interested me , i ws interested in SC 2 untili ehard they were gonna break into into 3 parts , now that i think about it , i['m not even itnerested in diablo 2 any more , hows a 3d repeat of past games really worthy of my attention as agamer ? already played that game didn;t relaly avhe much story then doubt diablo 3 will add acutally rolepaly or story content to it either. but i guess that's jsut me , im one of those gamers that need a lot fo story conetent to keep me drawn into to the world ther are pletny of games with strait action and little sotry content and they all seem like remixes of teh same game. to me that is what blizzard has become , not to forget ,since WoW we ahve yet to see war craft go back to it's RTS roots.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]SteveLord[/nom]Why are people whining about the fee? Guild Wars has charged people to change their avatar's name, hair style, gender, etc for years.Nothing new to see here folks. Shutup and move on.[/citation]

yes but guildwars also has to make money to run thier servers , rember unlike other MMO's guildwars does not charge amonthly fee , so how else are they going to make up that cost? blizard on teh otehr ahdn , charges fees on it's big mmo , and they dont run the SC2 servers just the battle net hosting

G

you get to play the game for years after years only with the original fee of what? 60 $ ? and you complain to pay 10 $ on a name change? Just think what it costs them to mentain the battlenet servers so u can play all you want , crappy facebook games charge 50 $ for a magic horse u can put on your farm and stare at ... at least blizzards games are cool and fun. People DO complain too damn much !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.