StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Finally Gets Release Date

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]bllue[/nom]Why charge $60 for the complete game when you can charge $180? It comes as no surprise that SC2 got released after the Activi$ion and Blizzard merge. Surely Activi$ion had a say in the split of SC2 into 3 parts to take advantage of people. Activi$ionBli$$ard[/citation]
The original StarCraft had 30 missions, StarCraft 2 has 29 missions. I wouldn't call that 1/3 of a game.

G

Call me when the game is finished, all 3 parts in one box, for a reasonable price. And ill buy it. Till then no thanks!

EVILNOD

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
20$ aren't too expansive.. i think wing commander I mission pack is around same. and thats like 20 years ago. however 60 bucks for collector edition?? sucker!

benji720

Honorable
May 24, 2012
I've played SC2 more than I've ever played any game. Look at it this way - WoW costs $15 a month and you still have to buy the expansions. SC2 (in my opinion) is way more fun, way more challenging, and I've spent $60 on it over the course of 2.5 years.

I think an extra $40 is well worth it!

Afrospinach

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]The original StarCraft had 30 missions, StarCraft 2 has 29 missions. I wouldn't call that 1/3 of a game.[/citation]

The original did not have the lost viking either, the most important part of starcraft, don't forget.

azxcvbnm321

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
This is ridiculous, it costs millions of dollars to develop each part of StarCraft II. The project has been years in development. Just think about this, even if they had just started working on Heart of the Storm today, it would still be 4 months before release. How much has to be spent on programmer salaries, their health care plans, rent and overhead?

I remember new games costing $49 in the early 1990's. Today, the real cost of $59 (inflation adjusted) is lower than $49, thus games are cheaper than ever, yet they cost more than ever to make thanks to ever higher expectations.

So many people with no clue as to what it takes to make something. All they do is consume and use, they never build and give. There is no perspective at all. A $100 a month phone and data plan doesn't get a second thought, but a game that has the potential for hundreds of hours of play for $59 is railed against. Go figure.

My expirience with sc2 was weak, so im not interested in an expansion that costs like a full game.
I wonder if blizzard will kee their word of allowing the multiplayer even if you dont buy the expansion as they said when asked about this... but somehow, i highly doubt it.

G

Blizzard is NOT EA, they don't rush games then quickly abandon them. Even Starcraft 1 is still supported, with patches being released, even after 15years!

safcmanfr

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]bllue[/nom]Why charge $60 for the complete game when you can charge $180? It comes as no surprise that SC2 got released after the Activi$ion and Blizzard merge. Surely Activi$ion had a say in the split of SC2 into 3 parts to take advantage of people. Activi$ionBli$$ard[/citation]

Its 2 full games. 20+ missions a piece.

You wanted 1 game with 70+ single player missions? I dont know any RTA that has that many.

safcmanfr

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]safcmanfr[/nom]Its 2 full games. 20+ missions a piece. You wanted 1 game with 70+ single player missions? I dont know any RTA that has that many.[/citation]

RTA = RTS

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]rand_aa[/nom]blizzard never missed a deadline[/citation]
Correct, instead they ship and half-assed product and fix it weeks later through patches.

byroncaraway

Honorable
Jan 6, 2013
Status
Not open for further replies.