StarCraft Universe Kickstarter Closes with Nearly $85K

Status
Not open for further replies.

cypeq

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Terrible now even mod makers reach out to everyone's pocket... I remember times where they just did this for fun and learning experience... now oh so suddenly they can't because they need funding. It should be using donation system not fundraiser... "we make this only if you pay us enough before." It's terrible... When I go to shop at least I buy finished product not promise that they will some day make it happen if they gather enough money coz otherwise they don't move their buts.
This isn't just modder activity but normal indie development. They should just drop the act of not making commercial product for profit. If you develop something like "normal job" getting paid "like normal job" is exactly making a normal commercial profit from it.

Well, I belive this is not a good thing.
Do they even have copyright permision to use sc2 as their engine?
Modders rearly charege anything for their work, and if they do, its AFTER its done, not before.

cypeq

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
This crap started with preorders... now they want to sell games at alpha/beta stages(half of games on greenlight)... or even ask to get paid before making content like in this case.
Kickstarter is a cancer. Where fools pay so someone else can make money.

And Yah blizz can pull the plug whenever they want... as in their eula. Everything modder makes it's blizzard's property. WC3 Eula wasn't that strict that's why we have LoL and DotA 2 and many others. They shut down world of starcraft mmo project made the same way 2 years ago (without bootinasser). They just told the modder we put your project to trash bin you can't develop it any futher or fine/jail/unameit kthxbai.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

The "World of Starcraft" MMO project IS Starcraft Universe. Blizzard forced them to change the name due to obvious naming rights but they didn't kill the project; they just made them rename it. Blizzard can't prevent people from developing these Arcade maps either. All they can do is remove them from the Arcade after they're posted or kill the Battle.net accounts of the people who are posting them, in which case the developers would just create new Battle.net accounts and buy new copies of SC2 with the $84K they just pulled in via Kickstarter.

ericgunnerson

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
<quote>Where fools pay so someone else can make money</quote>
Do you realize that this is exactly how venture capital funds nearly everything you have ever paid for in your entire life? It seems like you're seeing how the sausage is made and it upsets you.

Status
Not open for further replies.