News Starfield to get support for AMD FSR3, Intel XeSS in early 2023 – new ways of travelling promised, too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Nice to hear but what I would like to see them get rid of is the hitching you get every few seconds or so. Its a extremely common issue and as a 4K144hz gamer when this hitching happens it really takes away from the level of immersion you'd otherwise get. No amount of gsync or vsync seems to be able to fix the issue thus far.

vanadiel007

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2015
Nice to hear but what I would like to see them get rid of is the hitching you get every few seconds or so. Its a extremely common issue and as a 4K144hz gamer when this hitching happens it really takes away from the level of immersion you'd otherwise get. No amount of gsync or vsync seems to be able to fix the issue thus far.
Common issue due to the large amount of data and processing power needed for 4K high refresh gaming. FSR or DLSS will help alleviate some, but I am thinking you will still be seeing issues.

4K high refresh gaming requires processing power that is currently not available.

emike09

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Can't polish a turd. It'll take far more than a crappy frame-gen implementation and new travel options to make me like the game. I played through the main storyline, but I don't think I'll ever pick this game up again. Needs massive improvements to lighting, textures, NPCs, the world environment, atmospheres, etc.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Common issue due to the large amount of data and processing power needed for 4K high refresh gaming. FSR or DLSS will help alleviate some, but I am thinking you will still be seeing issues.

4K high refresh gaming requires processing power that is currently not available.
Its not just 4K though. Even dropping to 1080P results (all settings tested) in the same behavior on an rtx 4090 with WD 850X on a 7950X (tried single CCD as well). Again this is a known issue. There are some fixes out there...minimizing outpost sizes so back ground processing goes down, recompiling shaders, limiting your CPU to 90->95% and a handful of others. Some of these work for folks some don't. At the end of the day this hitching needs to be addressed IMHO. I get it is probably a compounded issues (SSD/NVME speeds, CPUs scheduling, etc etc) but that doesn't excuse its poor performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: rluker5

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
That's not entirely true. Plenty of games handle 4K120-144hz well enough. Some games do require some DLSS and frame gen witchcraft (or dropping non resolution setting) but generally speaking high refresh rate @4K is achievable. That said pre 4090/80...I would completely agree with. This is the first gen 4K high refresh rate is even on the table, be it with said sacrifices in some situations.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
Its not just 4K though. Even dropping to 1080P results (all settings tested) in the same behavior on an rtx 4090 with WD 850X on a 7950X (tried single CCD as well). Again this is a known issue. There are some fixes out there...minimizing outpost sizes so back ground processing goes down, recompiling shaders, limiting your CPU to 90->95% and a handful of others. Some of these work for folks some don't. At the end of the day this hitching needs to be addressed IMHO. I get it is probably a compounded issues (SSD/NVME speeds, CPUs scheduling, etc etc) but that doesn't excuse its poor performance.
I didn't get much hitching at 60 fps, but only because I have a 3080 and that limited me to 60 fps, that and my other components should have been good for much more, but my Optane 905p I had the game installed on had too low random read. I recorded a clip and at 2:20 the Optane read goes to 100%, GPU use drops to 87% and FPS drops to 86. In the video, whenever fps drops it corresponds with a heavier load on that 905p than any game should have.
I bet the devs used some high end gen 4 or 5 SSD like the 850X and got worse dips. They had to have hitches, stutters and frame drops right in front of their faces. Probably why they set the consoles to run at about 30 fps even with a decent SSD. If I had a 4090 like you I would be seeing my fps go from 120 to the 90s and 80s every time I would hit a hidden load zone. The only thing that saved me is my having an inadequate GPU for this lackluster looking game.

And last I checked, XeSS is not going to do a lot to help Arc. The more a disorganized mess a game is the harder Arc has with it. My A750 plays Phantom Liberty at 4k(RT off) better than Starfield at 1080p anywhere crowded.

Reactions: atomicWAR
Dec 14, 2023
I have not had performance issues with Starfield (4k/120hz screen, details all up) - 4090 was taking some 220W max, not really going for 100%.

Yes, the game is not that great, especially if you try Phantom Liberty right after.

But what I find bad is that it still did not support HDR. So space was a bit grayish...
...they likely should try to make some new questline and work on atmosphere.

Status
Not open for further replies.