Start Saving: Core i7 PCs Will Be Expensive

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
@ captaincharisma & hannibal :
All I'm saying is that xp 32 is shortlived. Vista 32 can as far as I know be replacded with a 64bit version without buying a new license (not sure about this claim). Anyhow, as long as directx requires a copy of a significant amount of framebuffer in ram, 32bit is on the losing side in a war of tech. Graphics cards get more and more memory, displays and texture resolution keep getting bigger and bigger, and at some point people will want the ability to precache levels for games even if they do own a good graphics card and run in high resolutions. So perhaps there will be support for 32bit vista in 5-6 years, but I don't believe it's a viable os for anyone playing games or using professional software. It'll probably be enough for ice or mce stuff, but that's it.
Anyway, is the next windows really going to have a 32bit version? that seems a bit wasted imo! Better spend more time making the 64bit work instead of making two version that don't like they did with vista.

@ warezme :
I believe they do have more or less any feature available to them. Just like nvidia any tech company without an immidiate funding shortage will release only the really high end product to begin with, and add midrange and lowend products along the way when their stock of 'old' stuff is closer to depletion or the marked situation is changed by 3rd party. And as always prices reflect the premium it will be to own such hardware. Not much different from the $650 price tag on my 8800gtx back when it was new. Premium products cost premium, even if their performance doesn't truely match

hannibal

Distinguished

This has been confirmed. There will be two versions of them... and yes it would be better for us gamers to only have the 64 bit version... *sigh*

I hope that my "future prediction" is a wrong one. But when you look how long time it has been taken until even so so usefull dx10 titles has been starting to appear, or even games that use more than one core, I am geared towards some pessimism...

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
There've been directx 10 titles ever since the mid of 2007, but as yet there's been no compelling reason to run any of those titles in dx10 mode.
That is except stalker clear skies. I'm not sure how it looks in dx10, but the graphics are dreadful in dx9 on my system.

G

I was holding off on buying a quad core based PC thinking the release of Core i7 will push prices down on the last generation but it seems these two lines won't be directly competing with each other. Maybe prices won't go down much.

G

I really want this technology in laptops within the next 3 months

Status
Not open for further replies.