Question Start up time is extremely slow

Ahsyed

Great
Aug 13, 2023
Hello

my new build start up is extremely slow , along with anytime i restart it takes atleast 2-4 mins for it to restart and when pc falls asleep it doesnt wake up on mouse / keyboard interaction at all , only with power buton.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($389.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK620 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler ($63.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($219.95 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($91.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($95.42 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING OC Radeon RX 7900 XT 20 GB Video Card ($970.83 @ Amazon)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: MSI MPG A850G PCIE5 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2101.06
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-09-23 12:05 EDT-0400

before getting into possible hardware issues
make sure the motherboard BIOS, and any available firmware, is up to date through MSI product support pages, not with any auto-update feature through installed MSI control software.

Ahsyed

Great
Aug 13, 2023
before getting into possible hardware issues
make sure the motherboard BIOS, and any available firmware, is up to date through MSI product support pages, not with any auto-update feature through installed MSI control software.
I had to update bios to latest so yes they are up to date. My ram is xmp tho I dunno if that is causing it? I see the yellow light on motherboard stay on while system is starting up till later. Set at 6000mhz.

Ahsyed

Great
Aug 13, 2023
Task manager/startup what does bios time show?
65 seconds. i have crucial p5 on boot drive.

Also doesnt wake up from sleep and if i am downloading something and leave pc , after a while it shuts down or goes to sleep and download stops , shouldnt it let things finish downloading in background?

Last edited:
65 seconds. i have crucial p5 on boot drive.

Also doesnt wake up from sleep and if i am downloading something and leave pc , after a while it shuts down or goes to sleep and download stops , shouldnt it let things finish downloading in background?
That's way too long.
No idea what bios options you have so look through the bios for something being done that's not needed.

Perhaps something like extended ram test.

Reactions: Ahsyed

Hotrod2go

Prominent
Jun 12, 2023
Enable memory contest restore & power down mode. If they are on auto (default) the bios may overlook this & spend time figuring out to enable them. Agesa updates are a constant work in progress.

Ahsyed

Great
Aug 13, 2023
Enable memory contest restore & power down mode. If they are on auto (default) the bios may overlook this & spend time figuring out to enable them. Agesa updates are a constant work in progress.
Is that supposed to be on?

It's my 1st amd build and 1st build in 13 years. I just want things to work normal without having to go through hoops and such. Could I reinstall same bios and possibly fix it?

Ahsyed

Great
Aug 13, 2023
alright asking a Dumb Question but are the led on motherboard supposed to turn on when i boot?

mine had 2 of them stay on till my system boots , CPU one stays RED and DRAM one stays YELLOW , and boot time is still 65s , Could anyone explain if thats normal to have them be on ? If not is it my cpu / ram causing some issues?

thank you

I will have a look but I didn't change anything except xmp profile to 1 which sets my ram speed.
Work with bios time.
Turn off xmp boot and check bios time.
Unplug the 970 disk check bios time.
Use just one stick of ram in the proper slot check bios time.
Unplug the gpu and connect to the igp check bios time.
Unplug external stuff check bios time.

Ahsyed

Great
Aug 13, 2023
Work with bios time.
Turn off xmp boot and check bios time.
Unplug the 970 disk check bios time.
Use just one stick of ram in the proper slot check bios time.
Unplug the gpu and connect to the igp check bios time.
Unplug external stuff check bios time.
any input on the leds video i posted? are they normal or something is wrong?

Ahsyed

Great
Aug 13, 2023
Consult your motherboard manual for certainty but the orange led is for ram, at least that is the case withy 2 of my AM5 boards.
I took out ram and reseated them. Same with gpu and now even boot led turns on 😅

Last edited:

Ahsyed

Great
Aug 13, 2023
Just one issue left that is , PC doesnt wake up from sleep mode , only if i button button it does it wake up , mouse and keyboard do light up but no response on pc booting

Ahsyed

Great
Aug 13, 2023
i've had issues like this with older variants of Windows.
usually going through Control Panel > Power Options and resetting and/or manually entering sleep settings would solve the problem.
yeah sleep not waking up still persist , i did everything i could think of and my gpu doesnt start cinebench23 , and coil whines a lot. gonna RMA it i suppose