Started a fire :( [SOLVED]

skimanner

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
So I decided to finally try to get my old rig hooked up with some more video cards. I hadn’t ran it in almost 4 years until December 2017. In December I got it running again on just 1 video card and 1 psu and a hd. It used” to run 6x R7970 on 2x 850w psu. Last month I connected a gtx 1050 as well. A few weeks ago I hooked up a cdrom that was coming off my hd SATA with no issues but when I plugged in a new SATA cable and hooked the cdrom to it somehow the cdrom never worked again. It was also difficult to plug in the SATA cable into the back of the psu also. But that could just be how difficult those psus always where but almost made me feel like I was trying to get it to click in while compressing dust lol.

Anyhow today I make the courageous attempt to plug the 2nd psu 24 pin into the empty connector since I never removed the 2 psu splitter. I plugged in a new 1080 with the 1 cable that splits to a 8 and 6 pin ( cables it came with and I always used in that rig) then I plugged a powered riser into a 6pin to molex cable which I then plugged the molex end into a molex to psu 6 pin. I flipped the back of the second psu on and one of the gpus flashed, one that’s not connected and the fan moded for a millisecond on the psu. I found this odd but figured the flash was just the cards logo lighting up and shutting off immditaly because the psu sent power to the motherboard for a millisecond. I flip the main psu on and press the manual power button and.... “loud pop” and small but quick spreading fire from what looked like the manual power button cable... I haven’t checked yet because the smell is horrible in their. I was lucky enough to be able to blow the fire out quickly and shut power off on the back of the psus (computer looked and sounded like it was still booting fine, although I didn’t look at the screen to see before shutting the psus down...but why in hell would the power button cable catch fire... I also hooked up a new 2TB HD at the same time but that was to the old power supply on the same SATA cable as the old HD.

Like I said it was 4 years ago so I don’t remember exactly how I had this computer running back then but I can tell you it amazes me that it did run 24/7 mining 6x gpus or that it even even started and I’m more amazed I get a fire now that it’s hooked up way better... itnhad 6x 7970 with 6 unpowered risers first of all... secondly there are only 2 pcie cable slots on the back of each psu. Like I said they are 8pin to 8 pin + 6 pin but even then that only accounts for 4 video cards. I have no clue how I connected the other 2 lol. The best guess I have is that I had plugged the extra 8 pin cpu into a gpu on both psus because they both have 2 psu 8pin cables that are hardwired. And I guess maybe I used an adapter to turn that 8pin psu into a 8pin + 6pin on top of it lol. So as you can see I had 6 gpus working under extremely hazardous conditions and somehow I get a fire by running a 7970 and 1050 with unpowered risers and a new 1080 on a 2nd psu... note the 1050 and 7970 has beeen running on the main psu with unpowered risers for a month so I didn’t bother changing them.

Any ideals? I don’t know what exactly caused it so I don’t know if I should try to turn that second psu on again (assuming all components still work). I have to assume that the 2nd psu or the 24 pin connector are at fault here since psu2 like I said had sent power to mobo and moved the fan a tiny bit. I was gonna use a new 24 pin connector just because I have it but it was very hard to get to the 24 pin on the mobo to switch it so I just left it. It’s “different” looking then new age splitters. Has like 2 wires running to it like newer ones but then 2 looping out of it into a block. Wires go in and then the 2 come out. I don’t know how to explain it but like I said it worked 4 years ago... if anyone has any feedback please let me know...

Update: I just inspected it and it is actually the 6pin to molex wire that caught on fire. The one thing that I was very weary about from the start. Guess I’ll hook it up with the second 8pin to 6pin pcie connector and only be able to connect 1 gpu to the psu. and get some 1060(6gb) cards to connect to it instead