[SOLVED] Started today consistent BSOD: Memory Management

hunt_ftw

Honorable
May 30, 2016
Today, I booted up Tarkov to play and got a blue screen of death (error Memory_Management with no driver specifically, I checked all of these with BlueScreenView) when I was on map loading (100%). I tried again, same thing, same place. I power cycled my pc, then went back in and loaded in just fine. 10 minutes in, BSOD again. I reconnect, then 5 min later, BSOD again (r.i.p my gear. I tried to connect 5-6 times after this, some blue screening me when I was loading in, or even a couple times just with the game open, not even connecting to the raid in any of them. I tried a couple things with the paging file, then ended up putting it back to default. I tried playing rocket league after, and a minute into my game I BSOD again. From this point on, all night I have been unable to load into a game.

I have tried updating my BIOS, drivers, running memtest86, running the sfc check in cmd, restoring default bios settings, driver verify in windows (ended up bootlooping me telling me a driver failed to be verified leading to me restoring windows to an earlier point), and probably a few other things I have forgotten to mention.

Specs:
Ram is 2166 Corsair ddr4 (not the dominators just the basic bitch ones)
Cpu: 2700X
Gpu: 1070ti
Cooling: loop with one 480 and one 560 size rad cooling both cpu/gpu
PSU: EVGA that is something like 850 watts
Mobo: crosshair VII

Sorry if I forgot anything I'm a bit braindead right now from all the work on this today, any help is appreciated and if I need to include more detail let me know!

Currently waiting for memtest86 to finish and will post when done

Solution
Memory management, in my experience, is always RAM. And memtest86 confirms it. Try one stick at a time, 2133 Mhz to rule out XMP causing it, run memtest86. Whichever stick gives you an error is broken. If you get no errors, it's XMP. Maybe add DRAM voltage, raise to 1.37-1.4 v. Fast boot off (Resetting BIOS tends to turn Fast Boot on).
I'm guessing that is a 2 x 8 gig kit. Replacing just one stick can lead to problems, even if it's the same brand, speed and timings. So should you buy a new 16 gig kit? It's recommended. If you buy 1 stick, can't tell if it works until you test it.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Memory management, in my experience, is always RAM. And memtest86 confirms it. Try one stick at a time, 2133 Mhz to rule out XMP causing it, run memtest86. Whichever stick gives you an error is broken. If you get no errors, it's XMP. Maybe add DRAM voltage, raise to 1.37-1.4 v. Fast boot off (Resetting BIOS tends to turn Fast Boot on).
I'm guessing that is a 2 x 8 gig kit. Replacing just one stick can lead to problems, even if it's the same brand, speed and timings. So should you buy a new 16 gig kit? It's recommended. If you buy 1 stick, can't tell if it works until you test it.

Solution

hunt_ftw

Honorable
May 30, 2016
I will check this out tomorrow. I was planning on just buying new ram assuming it had just gone out today, but I have seen multiple things about XMP. I don't believe I have it because I have an amd chip, but if I do what is it and how can I find it? I don't have any results when I search XMP in bios.

In addition, any tips for changing voltage? I am not very experienced in overclocking dispute having a loop (I have it because it looked fun).

When I test the individual sticks, how can I set them to be 2133, in bios? I didn't know if this was a common number to be able to set it to or if I would have to enter it or whatnot. Thanks.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
I will check this out tomorrow. I was planning on just buying new ram assuming it had just gone out today, but I have seen multiple things about XMP. I don't believe I have it because I have an amd chip, but if I do what is it and how can I find it? I don't have any results when I search XMP in bios.

In addition, any tips for changing voltage? I am not very experienced in overclocking dispute having a loop (I have it because it looked fun).

When I test the individual sticks, how can I set them to be 2133, in bios? I didn't know if this was a common number to be able to set it to or if I would have to enter it or whatnot. Thanks.

Asus calls XMP for D.O.C.P. Every motherboard I know of supports XMP, just can be named differently. I'll have to check the rest in my Asus BIOS, can't remember exact names.
OK. Under AI Tweaker tab, check ''AI Overclock Tuner'. Should have two modes, Auto (should be 2133 mhz) and D.O.C.P (XMP). If you enable DOCP, you should get a choice of speed. Should match your sticks speed, looked like 3200 Mhz in Memtest86.
The Dram voltage is called Dram voltage on same page.
If you run the EZ mode of the BIOS, press F7 to enter Advanced mode. I find the EZ mode too confusing, I don't see the point of it.

Last edited:

hunt_ftw

Honorable
May 30, 2016
Asus calls XMP for D.O.C.P. Every motherboard I know of supports XMP, just can be named differently. I'll have to check the rest in my Asus BIOS, can't remember exact names.
OK. Under AI Tweaker tab, check ''AI Overclock Tuner'. Should have two modes, Auto (should be 2133 mhz) and D.O.C.P (XMP). If you enable DOCP, you should get a choice of speed. Should match your sticks speed, looked like 3200 Mhz in Memtest86.
If you run the EZ mode of the BIOS, press F7 to enter Advanced mode. I find the EZ mode too confusing, I don't see the point of it.

Just saw the response, will test some of this after work today. Here are the final results of the memtest86: https://photos.app.goo.gl/vddsJ1vg9SwBUZ4e8

I have already ordered new ram but will definitely update if any of the things above such as voltage/xmp fix it.

hunt_ftw

Honorable
May 30, 2016
Oh my god is it possible that I was accidentally overclocking my ram from 2666 to 3200??? Wow. My AI Overclock Tuner was on default, I have changed it to D.O.C.P and set the frequency manually to 2666 (which is the frequency of my ram). As far as my voltage, it has a unchangeable box next to what it actually is which says 1.2 (im assuming this is the recommended value?) I have changed it to 1.4 just to test.

I won't be able to test until later so as before, I will update after work. Thanks for the help man.

Last edited:

hunt_ftw

Honorable
May 30, 2016

Just got my new ram, and along with it a brand new BSOD:
https://www.dropbox.com/t/Dn9isrIGYHNmmblM

Any more help is greatly appreciated...

The ram is 3600 (currently set to 3600 in xmp in bios).

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
This might help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...e/73055535-78e0-417e-9b64-d9c91bc7997b?page=1
To me, ntoskrnl is too general. Kernel crashed, could be anything. Might help to track down the problem if you get some other BSOD-error.

What's the new RAM? I'm pretty sure second gen Ryzen (2700X) by default can only handle 3400 Mhz, unless you tinker with RAM for a good while, dial in all the timings, all the voltages etc. If you scroll down a little, that is the MAX expected overclocking speed for RAM.
https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/blob/master/DDR4 OC Guide.md#amd---am4

If you got the BSOD within like 5-10 minutes after getting into Windows, clock on RAM is too high, dial it down to 3200-3400 Mhz. And if it is 3600 Mhz RAM, you can drop the 4 primaries by 1 for every 200 Mhz. So for example:
16-18-18-18 @ 3600 Mhz -> 15-17-17-17 @ 3400 Mhz -> 14-16-16-16 @ 3200 Mhz. So you keep the performance up. Worth it to keep an eye on secondary and tertiary timings too, can be a decent amount of performance to be had there. But that is tinkering/overclocking territory. The motherboard should be able to set secondary/tertiary timings by itself. Just make sure Fast Boot is OFF.

Last edited:

hunt_ftw

Honorable
May 30, 2016
This might help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...e/73055535-78e0-417e-9b64-d9c91bc7997b?page=1
To me, ntoskrnl is too general. Kernel crashed, could be anything. Might help to track down the problem if you get some other BSOD-error.

What's the new RAM? I'm pretty sure second gen Ryzen (2700X) by default can only handle 3400 Mhz, unless you tinker with RAM for a good while, dial in all the timings, all the voltages etc. If you scroll down a little, that is the MAX expected overclocking speed for RAM.
https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/blob/master/DDR4 OC Guide.md#amd---am4

If you got the BSOD within like 5-10 minutes after getting into Windows, clock on RAM is too high, dial it down to 3200-3400 Mhz. And if it is 3600 Mhz RAM, you can drop the 4 primaries by 1 for every 200 Mhz. So for example:
16-18-18-18 @ 3600 Mhz -> 15-17-17-17 @ 3400 Mhz -> 14-16-16-16 @ 3200 Mhz. So you keep the performance up. Worth it to keep an eye on secondary and tertiary timings too, can be a decent amount of performance to be had there. But that is tinkering/overclocking territory. The motherboard should be able to set secondary/tertiary timings by itself. Just make sure Fast Boot is OFF.
I've not messed with the timings yet, however mine are currently 18 22 22 22 42. I did however lower the voltage (which I raised to 1.39 to help the random stuttering I get with no frame drop which fixed it) to 1.375. I also turned fast boot off, which may have a huge effect I'm hoping.

EDIT: The new ram is corsair vengance 3600 freq 2x16 and c18 something, not sure whats up with the c18 on ram now.

Last edited:

hunt_ftw

Honorable
May 30, 2016

Unfortunately with the changes stated above, I crashed by opening chrome, Spotify, and discord. (While rocket league was loading)

I have changed my memory frequency in bios to 3444, I will change back to 3600 and test after you post the appropriate timings for my ram (although I think they are just -1 from the numbers posted as stated but I want to be sure). If the 3444 frequency setting works I will also let you know

hunt_ftw

Honorable
May 30, 2016

Sorry if there is a limit to replies, but it crashed with rocket league open while listening to Spotify ECT. with the 3466 profile (I mispoke when I said 3444). I will attempt to go ahead and switch back to 3600 and lower the timings by 1. I will also get the BlueScreenView and post it too

EDIT 2: Alright, crashed finally after changing the timings. I got this error: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...cQFnoECAUQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3GK2Ly0Sy9SPiBgnusBNAk

It is WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. I will do some research on this now.

Second note about this, I think I may have turned auto overclock on... Going to fix that and update my bios as well.

Last edited:

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
WHEA error? I've read about that, most often happening when Fclock is too high. Meaning the Infinity Fabric and that is tied to RAM. 1 to 1 ratio is the recommended ratio. So if RAM is 3600 Mhz (really it's 1800 Mhz but double-data rate doubles it), the Fclock will also try to run at 1800 Mhz.
I would suggest you try 3200 Mhz. Just let the motherboard set the timings, see if it works. If it does work, try 16-20-20-20-38 @ 3200 Mhz. Or try jumping up to 3400 Mhz and 17-21-21-21-40.
I don't think 3600 Mhz will ever work on a 2700X. Unless you spend a month or more tuning the RAM.

hunt_ftw

Honorable
May 30, 2016
WHEA error? I've read about that, most often happening when Fclock is too high. Meaning the Infinity Fabric and that is tied to RAM. 1 to 1 ratio is the recommended ratio. So if RAM is 3600 Mhz (really it's 1800 Mhz but double-data rate doubles it), the Fclock will also try to run at 1800 Mhz.
I would suggest you try 3200 Mhz. Just let the motherboard set the timings, see if it works. If it does work, try 16-20-20-20-38 @ 3200 Mhz. Or try jumping up to 3400 Mhz and 17-21-21-21-40.
I don't think 3600 Mhz will ever work on a 2700X. Unless you spend a month or more tuning the RAM.
Just got back from vacation, I will try this next time I have a chance. Thanks!

Edit: am using system defaults with these settings, not sure how to make the profile not 3600 (there is no other options) but the frequency is set to 3200.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/utymxwiei6bppg3/20210725_010702.jpg?dl=0

With above settings I still get the whea error.

I even set it to auto with no xmp and get the error!

Last edited: