Starting a business, good idea?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NewbieGeek

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
So some friends and I are planning to start a business as a school project. One product idea we had was a do it yourself desktop computer kit. Basically, if we did this we'd sell a custom desktop pc, complete with extensive instructions on how to build it yourself and explanations on the significance of various parts and which in particular are good. What do you guys think? If you were a new pc buyer today with no experience but had interest in a custom pc would you buy something like this?

Solution
When I go to Burger King for a burger, I go there specifically so that I do not have to assemble the burger.
If I had to go behind the counter and cook it myself...well...I'd stay home and cook it myself on my own grill.

It's not that we are not interested, it's that your business plan makes no sense.
Everybody around high school tends to get these business ideas. I went through a few myself. Solution: don't bother. You're not going to be able to get customers, there is zero market for this. So you're going to buy a bunch of PC parts and... nobody will either know about your company, and of the people who will, I can't see anybody being interested in such a service.