Question Starting issues

icarus2712

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
My windows 10 p laptop hp EliteBook 8440 p does not start when booting first time in a day.
It boots up then the screen goes black.
When I shut it down and restart it using the power button it displays "please wait" and reboots log-in screen normally.
what's wrong?

My windows 10 p laptop hp EliteBook 8440 p does not start when booting first time in a day.
It boots up then the screen goes black.
When I shut it down and restart it using the power button it displays "please wait" and reboots log-in screen normally.
what's wrong?
Hello there!!
Although there are many reason why you might face a black screen, one of the reasonand what i faced recently was because of alot of apps are being startup when you are booting into windows.So I'll suggest you to start with that. You can turn off those startup apps by selecting 'startup' tab in task manager.
Other reason could be because of drivers so check if they are updated to latest drivers.
Hope this helps

Reactions: icarus2712

PsychoPsyops

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
It could also be that the battery is failing and requires a power cycle after a while. A possibility, but I would also start with the startup apps and then the drivers. Also leave it sitting at the black screen for 5 or 10 mins and see if it eventually displays the desktop.

icarus2712

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
using on direct power, no battery inserted as it is a decade-old model and battery is dead. actually, the original hard with win 11 crashed, replaced wi win 10 ard disk, and facing this issue since then.

Last edited:
using on direct power, no battery inserted as it is a decade-old model and battery is dead. actually, the original hard with win 11 crashed, replaced wi win 10 ard disk, and facing this issue since then.
So is it the same hard disk? If yes it could be that the OS is having issue, performing a system restore might help or clean installation of Win 10 could also help.
Also if it's the same drive did you clean install Windows? If not the same drive it could be that the specific drive to blame.And if the drive is old and having issue you also get the opportunity to install a new SSD and breathe new life into your laptop.
Also try resetting your Bios as well.

icarus2712

Honorable
Jul 6, 2018
As said, the original drive which came with win 7 -on which later I side loaded win 11, was working perfectly- crashed so I replaced it with a spare win 10 hdd drive lying around.
What is a power cycle btw?

As said, the original drive which came with win 7 -on which later I side loaded win 11, was working perfectly- crashed so I replaced it with a spare win 10 hdd drive lying around.
What is a power cycle btw?
Power cycle is basically turing off your system and immediately turning it on. My 10-12 your system had faced alot of black screen but never in the 1st boot but randomly usually turning it off and on again would fix it.
And as you mentioned that your orginal drive with Win 7 which you upgraded to Win 11 worked perfectly until it crashed says to me that the spare drive is to be blamed. What about the orginal drive have your tried installing fresh copy of windows?
Edit:Tell me about the power brick as well is it the orginal adapter or new copy? But again Id look into the drive first since your laptop worked fine with original drive.