[SOLVED] Starting Windows crashes on install ?

Jul 22, 2021
Yes, we are in 2021, and today I decided it was a great day to try to install Windows 7, despite all security flaws.
After installing it in a VM, I fell in love with it again, and decided I would install on my second HDD so I can play with it a little.

So I went into the BIOS, disabled the first HDD (which contains my Windows 10 Install, to be sure it wouldn't detect a newer install and block windows 7), and only let my second HDD (1TB, with 500GB used by a hackintosh install (OS X 10.15), and 500GB used as a NTFS partition, where I store music and stuff, but I backed it up so that I can use this partition for Windows 7)

After this, I turned CSM on (Secure Boot was already off), with both UEFI and Legacy boots on, but it got stuck on this "Starting Windows" Screen, with the Windows 7 animation moving, but all my USB got disabled (both my keyboard and mouse turned off).

I searched a bit, but found nothing, even though this error seems to be well known on the internet, I tried multiple stuffs but found nothing.
I tried changing some settings, and probably tried any existing configs within my BIOS, but none of them worked.
I have a Windows Ultimate x64 on my USB (made it with Rufus), It is the image I used to install on the VM (and it worked perfectly).
My USB stick is 32GB SanDisk and it has no problems usually, I made my hackintosh install with it. (also, I formatted it before putting windows on it, even if RUFUS does it too, just to be sure you know...)

I'm really desperate, is it impossible to install Windows 7 on my computer ? I mean... I installed macOS on this computer, it would be a shame if I couldn't install an older Windows version.

My Configuration :

CPU: Intel i5-7440 @ 3.0 GHz
GPU: Radeon 5500 XT 8GB
Motherboard: Actually no Idea, the stock one of the ASUS G11CD-K
RAM: 2x4GB @ 2400MHz
HDD: 1TB Western Digital Blue

Thank you all in advance

Solution
Yes, we are in 2021, and today I decided it was a great day to try to install Windows 7, despite all security flaws.
After installing it in a VM, I fell in love with it again, and decided I would install on my second HDD so I can play with it a little.

So I went into the BIOS, disabled the first HDD (which contains my Windows 10 Install, to be sure it wouldn't detect a newer install and block windows 7), and only let my second HDD (1TB, with 500GB used by a hackintosh install (OS X 10.15), and 500GB used as a NTFS partition, where I store music and stuff, but I backed it up so that I can use this partition for Windows 7)

After this, I turned CSM on (Secure Boot was already off), with both UEFI and Legacy boots on, but it got stuck...

kanewolf

Titan

After this, I turned CSM on (Secure Boot was already off), with both UEFI and Legacy boots on, but it got stuck on this "Starting Windows" Screen, with the Windows 7 animation moving, but all my USB got disabled (both my keyboard and mouse turned off).

I searched a bit, but found nothing, even though this error seems to be well known on the internet, I tried multiple stuffs but found nothing.
I tried changing some settings, and probably tried any existing configs within my BIOS, but none of them worked.
I have a Windows Ultimate x64 on my USB (made it with Rufus), It is the image I used to install on the VM (and it worked perfectly).
My USB stick is 32GB SanDisk and it has no problems usually, I made my hackintosh install with it. (also, I formatted it before putting windows on it, even if RUFUS does it too, just to be sure you know...)

I'm really desperate, is it impossible to install Windows 7 on my computer ? I mean... I installed macOS on this computer, it would be a shame if I couldn't install an older Windows version.

My Configuration :

CPU: Intel i5-7440 @ 3.0 GHz
GPU: Radeon 5500 XT 8GB
Motherboard: Actually no Idea, the stock one of the ASUS G11CD-K
RAM: 2x4GB @ 2400MHz
HDD: 1TB Western Digital Blue

Thank you all in advance
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit -- I am guessing that did not come from Microsoft. I will assume it is a legal copy.
Most likely problem is that you don't have the proper drivers slip streamed into your Windows installer.
Did you go to the support page for the G11CD -- https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/g11cd/HelpDesk_Download/
It has an option for Windows 7 64 bit. I am GUESSING that will slipstream the necessary drivers into your installer.

Solution
Jul 22, 2021
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit -- I am guessing that did not come from Microsoft. I will assume it is a legal copy.
Most likely problem is that you don't have the proper drivers slip streamed into your Windows installer.
Did you go to the support page for the G11CD -- https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/g11cd/HelpDesk_Download/
It has an option for Windows 7 64 bit. I am GUESSING that will slipstream the necessary drivers into your installer.

So I checked the website, and it's only giving Asus' softwares, to manages stuffs like Fan speed, lightning colors etc...
But it seems that there is no proper driver for anything.
During the night, I found a software from a polish guy that could make Windows 7 more easily bootable on a modern PC.
You had to put your ISO file in, and it would "patch" it so that you can boot it from recent hardware.
Unfortunately, I don't have the link rn as I'm not on my windows 10 computer, but I remember it was made by a polish guy, I will post the link later.
I tried it, and indeed, I was able to go to the installation.
I chose my partition and formatted it, chose it for Windows' location, and the installation went fine.
But when I reboot to the Windows Partition to complete installation, it seems to get stuck again, the only difference being, my USB devices stay on.

Jul 22, 2021
So I maybe got a step further:
I deleted the whole partition, and started again from the beginning,
installation went fine, and when it restarted, I now have the « Setup is updating registry settings » screen, but it’s not going anywhere further.

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
The problem is, if I can’t load windows, I don’t really know how I’m gonna install any drivers anyway
As far as I know, you going to need a different computer to make a bootable USB using Microsoft's official Windows 10 installer. You don't even need to activate code to use windows 10, it will just have an annoying watermark. But right now, I think you want to get your PC running ASAP.

Jul 22, 2021
As far as I know, you going to need a different computer to make a bootable USB using Microsoft's official Windows 10 installer. You don't even need to activate code to use windows 10, it will just have an annoying watermark. But right now, I think you want to get your PC running ASAP.
Woah there, I think there’s a misunderstanding
My pc still works fine
i have 2 HDD, ONE having Windows 10 working perfectly fine, activated and all, and the SECOND ONE having a free 500GB partition for Windows 7
My PC works, the installation for windows 7 doesn’t

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
Woah there, I think there’s a misunderstanding
My pc still works fine
i have 2 HDD, ONE having Windows 10 working perfectly fine, activated and all, and the SECOND ONE having a free 500GB partition for Windows 7
My PC works, the installation for windows 7 doesn’t
Sorry, I just realised the blunder that I made.