Startup Diagnostic Repair Loop After Nvidia Driver Update and Fresh Install

dcrofty

Commendable
Jun 5, 2018
Hello,

Long story short: After a fresh windows install, whenever I try to use my GPU with an Nvidia driver (via geforce or windows driver update), I get stuck in startup diagnostic loops.

Rig
CPU: i7 8770k
GPU: 980TI
Motherboard: Asus Z370-E
RAM: DDR4 2x16G
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro
PSU: Corsair GS 700

Going to bed, my computer was working fine, no hardware or software updates to my knowledge. In the morning (04/06/2018) I booted up my PC and it went straight into diagnostic loops eventually leading to the blue restore and advanced options screen.
Reset a couple of times to no avail.

Troubleshooting:
- Initially I did some googling following some youtube videos. In the end I decided a full restore would be best. (Restore points, roll backs and start up repairs didn't work).
- After the restore, I installed manufacturers drivers for the Z370. However, after installing Nvidia, drivers, the PC force reset and went back into diagnostic loops.

So..

* Note: all other drives, CD tray and USBs are disconnected
- I formatted and wiped the SSD
- Reinstalled Windows 10 from an external drive
*Note: Remove my Razer keyboard as a popup bugged the install
- Removed the 980TI in-turn to use integrated graphics.
- Updated windows, installed Nvida driver via geforce
- Mid install, Id get a force restart followed by diagnostic boot looping

Next.

- Installed drivers in safe mode successfully
- Manual restart out of safe mode lead to diagnostic boot looping

- Swapped out 980 ti for 970
- Repeated the same process with the same outcome.
- Tried older drivers around 388, same result.

So after a fresh install, whenever I try to use my GPU with a driver, I get stuck in diagnostic loops.
Integrated graphics is as stable I can get.

It's probably worth noting that I've had my board, CPU and memory for about 3 months
SSD about 4 years.

Any insight is much appreciated. Thanks.

dcrofty

Commendable
Jun 5, 2018

Thanks for the reply.
Ok, I was worried it was something to do with the mem, mobo or drive.
I used media creation tool. However, I'll reinstall it, follow the instruction carefully and report how I get on.

dcrofty

Commendable
Jun 5, 2018
OK here's what I've done with no success.
- Reinstall windows media tool on new USB
- Installed OS on new hard drive instead of SSD
- Changed PCI slot
- CMOS reset
- Tried on a GTX760
- Tested one memory stick at a time

Still, every time I run graphics through each GPU+a Driver. I get a restart into repair loops.
*VGA works through the GPU and so does integrated graphics.

1) Check the MB BIOS, may update the BIOS with onboard iGPU, if your PC can run stable with iGPU.
2) Check the power options for the pcie
3) Check the GPU in other PC to see they work fine or not.

If you still have the same problem, try use the DDU to uninstall the nvidia gpu driver, then try the old driver, or run the 980ti without the nvidia driver ( but you will get lower performances), and may contact nvidia, I think the new driver may have problem.
DDU http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

dcrofty

Commendable
Jun 5, 2018
I purchased a new motherboard and it works. Surprising as the one that failed was 3 months old. Any suggestions on the process of warranty returns?

Latest posts