[SOLVED] Startup Goes to Useless Screen

Jul 29, 2022
Hello,
I have a custom built PC with a Gigabyte motherboard. The BIOS was inadvertently switched to Fast Boot and now when I start the computer I get a screen saying "Press Control + S to Enter Startup Menu" ; when you press this NOTHING happens. Then on to the next useless screen that says "Boot Agent GE" and then below "Reboot and Select proper boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot Device and Press a key" Sounds awesome except there's no way to select a boot device. When I was able to select the BIOS there was no option to select the USB.
I have tried every F key, Delete key, Shift fey and Escape key on startup. NOTHING stops the two idiotic screens mentioned in the beginning.
Please, how do I get this computer working again?

Solution
You can reset the bios without going in to the bios.
Two ways:
  1. remove the cmos battery from the motherboard and leave it out for 30 mins. Unplug the psu from the wall and hold the power button down on your tower for 10 secs. Put it back together.
  2. look up your specific motherboard (which we clearly have no idea what it is) user manual and use the jumper to reset the cmos/bios.
Two ways:
  1. remove the cmos battery from the motherboard and leave it out for 30 mins. Unplug the psu from the wall and hold the power button down on your tower for 10 secs. Put it back together.
  2. look up your specific motherboard (which we clearly have no idea what it is) user manual and use the jumper to reset the cmos/bios.

Reactions: rgd1101
Solution

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Try manually resetting the BIOS by removing the battery from the motherboard.

First, disconnect all power sources, including the monitor.

Next, press the power button to discharge any residual power stored in your system (yes, it is true).

Then, remove the battery, and wait 30 secs.

Now, put the battery back and retrace your steps to reconnect power and the monitor.

Power up.

on some systems removing battery will work, on some not
clr_cmos jumper is needed in case your battery holds just date/time

you can refer to your mainboard manuals to see wheter you need to clear cmos with jumper (screwdriver) or with battery

or you can just remove battery and jumper clr_cmos together

Jul 29, 2022
Two ways:
Thank you, I will try it

Jul 29, 2022
Thank you, I will try it
Taking out the battery and waiting worked. I had to reformat the USB device using Rufus with an MBR partition (Rufus gave instructions after the first attempt). Windows installed easily but I still wasn't able to access the BIOS or Setup using any F key, just right into Windows setup. While I would have liked to have access the main thing is I now have a working computer. Thank you again, have a great day.

Reactions: dudio

TRENDING THREADS