Question Startup issue with the PC

Guys my friend got a PC few months ago. It ran fine initially. But then it started causing issue. VGA light comes on It takes 10min to just to get to Startup Logo after pressing power button. Once it gets through it PC boots fast and runs fine.

Here are the specs:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK400 66.47 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B660M-A DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 CL16 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Crucial P3 Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: Zotac GAMING Twin Fan GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: DIYPC S3-BK-ARGB ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $0.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-28 10:49 EST-0500

Here is what I have already tried.

1. Clear CMOS
2. BIOS Update, Driver Update
3. Different Port
4. Different Cable
5. Different GPU GT730
6. Different Monitor
7. Running with Single Ram on different slots. And different RAM from other PC.
8. Running it outside of the Case
9. Replaced PSU with New one
10. Sent in Motherboard to MSI to get it repaired. And they sent it back after a week repaired. Same one but repaired.

After all that issue not resolved yet. What can be the problem.

Last edited:
when a pc takes a long time to boot up it is usually caused by 3 things.

1. windows updates sorting themselves out.
2. software that sneaked onto your pc without you knowing and its running in the background.
3. lots of items in the start up menu .

When sorting out why a pc is suddenly running slow its the obvious things that people miss so here a a few basic checks for you to do.

1. run dxdiag
2. run windows memory test , it will tell you if ram is faulty but not which stick
3. check device manager for any yellow triangles.
4. use task manager to see what is running in background.
5. look in add/remove for anything you dont recognise. change the drive search to by date
6 look in reliability monitor and google any errors.
7. run scans with malware bytes , anti virus and widows defender , all 3 look for different things.

NOTE ... if malwarebytes finds anything , quarentine and delete it and run scan again till it finds nothing , this is necessary because malware stuff can be in several segments and malwarebytes does not always get rid of things on first scan

when a pc takes a long time to boot up it is usually caused by 3 things.

1. windows updates sorting themselves out.
2. software that sneaked onto your pc without you knowing and its running in the background.
3. lots of items in the start up menu .

When sorting out why a pc is suddenly running slow its the obvious things that people miss so here a a few basic checks for you to do.

1. run dxdiag
2. run windows memory test , it will tell you if ram is faulty but not which stick
3. check device manager for any yellow triangles.
4. use task manager to see what is running in background.
5. look in add/remove for anything you dont recognise. change the drive search to by date
6 look in reliability monitor and google any errors.
7. run scans with malware bytes , anti virus and widows defender , all 3 look for different things.

NOTE ... if malwarebytes finds anything , quarentine and delete it and run scan again till it finds nothing , this is necessary because malware stuff can be in several segments and malwarebytes does not always get rid of things on first scan
No you not getting the point. It is taking no time at all to boot. But taking crazy long to post. Like once we press the power button the Fans start to spin lights come on and after a very very very long wait we get to see the Startup Logo.

35below0

Prominent
Jan 3, 2024
Do you think it could be the SSD or RAM? Anything unusual with either of those?

You should enter UEFI/BIOS and have a look there. It is possible some component is either being tested for a long time or is otherwise uncooperative. Both the RAM and NVMe are reliable on paper buut... Are they used?

That power supply is not great but not bad. However there may be some electrical fault or other problem that is causing a long POST.

Heck, it could also be the motherboard but it's easiest to test the SSD and RAM.

Try starting the PC with different RAM as a first step.

Again, are any components used?

Do you think it could be the SSD or RAM? Anything unusual with either of those?

You should enter UEFI/BIOS and have a look there. It is possible some component is either being tested for a long time or is otherwise uncooperative. Both the RAM and NVMe are reliable on paper buut... Are they used?

That power supply is not great but not bad. However there may be some electrical fault or other problem that is causing a long POST.

Heck, it could also be the motherboard but it's easiest to test the SSD and RAM.

Try starting the PC with different RAM as a first step.

Again, are any components used?
Tried different. RAM
And removed SSD.

Same result. Even took out entire PC out from the case and tested. Same result. Installed back in.

All new.

VGA Light comes on. But then Got the board repaired from MSI. Same issue. Tried 2 different GPUs. Same issue.

Last edited:
i dont understand why you say i dont get it.... you have said 2 times that it takes a long time to get to desktop and thats why i gave you a list of things to check.

You say it ran ok when you first got it so that means either parts failure or you got tons of stuff running from start menu which will delay you getting to desktop

When you get to the desktop look at the post number on the mobo and google what it means

Could you also explain why you got 0$ for the price of everything.

Last edited:
i dont understand why you say i dont get it.... you have said 2 times that it takes a long time to get to desktop and thats why i gave you a list of things to check.

Note ..... just because the pc is new it does not mean that some of the componants have not failed.

When you get to the desktop look at the post number on the mobo and google what it means
It takes very long time to get to BIOS. Getting into Desktop takes no time at all. If that makes sense. Like it takes for ever to come up onto display. Once it does there is no delay.

35below0

Prominent
Jan 3, 2024
My PC takes about 10 seconds to go through POST/BIOS/etc stuff, then it begins bootings windows 11 and does it in about 3s.
OPs problem is that their PC doesn't begin booting for an ice age, then when it finally does it does it in normal time.

So something is causing a delay before booting even begins. This is why the amount of installed software or processes running makes no difference. The PC is still not booted at the moment the delay is happening.

35below0

Prominent
Jan 3, 2024
A few thoughts and musings, and ramblings.

UEFI/BIOS can run tests on NVMe drives. These are not normally automatic as they take minutes to an hour to complete, but maybe it is set to test every time.
You say you took the SSD out but the long delay was still there?

It makes me think this is may be a BIOS setting issue. Maybe BIOS is detecting something and then testing to make sure everything works. It does, PC boots. But next time, tests have to be done again,.
If BIOS is set to do something funny by default, it would have to persist through CMOS clearing and flashing. So it's unlikely but not impossible.

Then there's the motherboard. It technicaly works fine and has been returned to you as such. You say it was repaired? What was repaired? What difficulty was found and removed?
Because i think they tested it, the mobo passed the tests, and they returned it to you.

However that VGA light is telling us something. Possibly the PCIe slot is damaged. That would be consistent with multiple GPUs producing the same result.

Possibly a cursed or magic motherboard. Hang onto it, there wont be many like it.

One solution is to get a new motherboard. Or do nothing except accept it will take a long time to power up the PC.

Reactions: helper800
i hope somebody can sort out this guys problems because he seems confused on what can or cant fire up slow or fast in different stages .... example ... he says gets to desktop quick but ages before he can * see anything ^ .... if he cant see anything how does he know he has got to the desktop

35below0

Prominent
Jan 3, 2024
i hope somebody can sort out this guys problems because he seems confused on what can or cant fire up slow or fast in different stages .... example ... he says gets to desktop quick but ages before he can * see anything ^ .... if he cant see anything how does he know he has got to the desktop
Power on
|
->POST
*display usually switches on around here or the boot menu
|
->BIOS
|
->Boot menu - usually automatic
|
->Boot to OS
|
->OS loaded and ready to sign in / or straight to desktop.

He gets to desktop from Boot to OS quickly. But everything before Boot to OS takes ~10 minutes. Time spent on POST is too long. That is not normal though i have no idea what is causing it beyond the VGA light suggesting it has to do with GPU or VRAM.

Last edited:
Reactions: King Dranzer
A few thoughts and musings, and ramblings.

UEFI/BIOS can run tests on NVMe drives. These are not normally automatic as they take minutes to an hour to complete, but maybe it is set to test every time.
You say you took the SSD out but the long delay was still there?

It makes me think this is may be a BIOS setting issue. Maybe BIOS is detecting something and then testing to make sure everything works. It does, PC boots. But next time, tests have to be done again,.
If BIOS is set to do something funny by default, it would have to persist through CMOS clearing and flashing. So it's unlikely but not impossible.

Then there's the motherboard. It technicaly works fine and has been returned to you as such. You say it was repaired? What was repaired? What difficulty was found and removed?
Because i think they tested it, the mobo passed the tests, and they returned it to you.

However that VGA light is telling us something. Possibly the PCIe slot is damaged. That would be consistent with multiple GPUs producing the same result.

Possibly a cursed or magic motherboard. Hang onto it, there wont be many like it.

One solution is to get a new motherboard. Or do nothing except accept it will take a long time to power up the PC.
Disconnected all the cables. Removed SSD and HDDs and plugged in just Motherboard, CPU, GPU and Fan cables. Did not connect front panel cables.

Still absolutely nothing at all. No wait there is a development now GTX1650 Super is not working at all. Only GT730 is. Tried both PCIe slots on the board. Same result. Not specific to that PCIe slot.

Yes it seems the entire board is causing it.

Disconnected all the cables. Removed SSD and HDDs and plugged in just Motherboard, CPU, GPU and Fan cables. Did not connect front panel cables.

Still absolutely nothing at all. No wait there is a development now GTX1650 Super is not working at all. Only GT730 is. Tried both PCIe slots on the board. Same result. Not specific to that PCIe slot.

Yes it seems the entire board is causing it.
That's the thing with motherboards, they are a diagnosis of exclusion. Its the motherboard if, and only if, everything else has been excluded as the issue. Wish I had seen this post earlier, I would have saved you time. The only thing it could have possibly been is the motherboard because you did your due diligence testing before you posted here. MSI likely plugged in a tester and it came back all clear and just returned it saying it was "repaired." MSI is not the only one with this type of practice, in fact almost all the motherboard manufacturers do this.

Reactions: King Dranzer
That's the thing with motherboards, they are a diagnosis of exclusion. Its the motherboard if, and only if, everything else has been excluded as the issue. Wish I had seen this post earlier, I would have saved you time. The only thing it could have possibly been is the motherboard because you did your due diligence testing before you posted here. MSI likely plugged in a tester and it came back all clear and just returned it saying it was "repaired." MSI is not the only one with this type of practice, in fact almost all the motherboard manufacturers do this.
MSI has been nothing but a pain in like forever. I dare not tried the AMD side. But man off all the Intel ones I got which is a good 6-7 in past 15Yrs. Only one was "kinda" working and saved me money instead of selling it and going for replacement. That too had 2 of its RAM slots gone only 2 working but that guy dint want to wait on MSI to take a week to send in a replacement and used it as is and retired it 2Yrs ago.

This guy did not come across me or any of my other friends or we would have given him the heads up to stay away from MSI. Well sad that only few months in and he had to deal with all that.

Now I just hope GPU is fine or we need to get it replaced as well. That be a pain.