[SOLVED] Startup Issues Lights Flash On Then Off

Sean_110

Commendable
Feb 6, 2017
I have been having the following problem for quite some time and have yet to be able to find an answer to it that works. What is happening is that when the power button is pressed, all the lights and fans in the case flash for half a second and then go out. The computer remains off and in order to attempt another start up, the power button needs to be depressed and held for several seconds (as if forcing a shutdown). This process may go on for only a couple attempts, or I have sat there for up to 15 minutes. After the computer finally does startup, it runs perfectly fine with absolutely no issues.

I have tried flashing and also updating the bios, but neither worked. Someone also told me it could possibly be dirty power coming in from the wall, so I purchased a good quality UPS, but that did not solve anything. From looking online, it seems like it could either be the motherboard or the PSU. I do not own a multimeter or an additional PSU so I don't know how to test to see which one it is.

Any suggestions?
Thank you very much!

My Computer Specs:
Case: NZXT Phantom 240
Processor: Intel Core i5 6600K
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-A
Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 2400
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Western Digital Blue 1TB
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 Fully Modular
DVD Drive: Samsung 24x Internal
Wireless Card: ASUS PCE-AC68 Wireless AC1900
Operating System: Windows 10 Home
UPS: CyberPower CP1000AVRLCD 600 Watts

Solution
Have you cleared the CMOS?
Have you double checked the wires to your motherboards front panel connectors?
Have you double checked all the wires from your PSU to the motherboard & GPU, at both ends?
If you can't find the problem it may be worth removing your motherboard from the case and booting outside the case. You may have a short somewhere inside your system.
I have been having the following problem for quite some time and have yet to be able to find an answer to it that works. What is happening is that when the power button is pressed, all the lights and fans in the case flash for half a second and then go out. The computer remains off and in order to attempt another start up, the power button needs to be depressed and held for several seconds (as if forcing a shutdown). This process may go on for only a couple attempts, or I have sat there for up to 15 minutes. After the computer finally does startup, it runs perfectly fine with absolutely no issues.

I have tried flashing and also updating the bios, but neither worked. Someone also told me it could possibly be dirty power coming in from the wall, so I purchased a good quality UPS, but that did not solve anything. From looking online, it seems like it could either be the motherboard or the PSU. I do not own a multimeter or an additional PSU so I don't know how to test to see which one it is.

Any suggestions?
Thank you very much!

My Computer Specs:
Case: NZXT Phantom 240
Processor: Intel Core i5 6600K
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-A
Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 2400
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Western Digital Blue 1TB
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 Fully Modular
DVD Drive: Samsung 24x Internal
Wireless Card: ASUS PCE-AC68 Wireless AC1900
Operating System: Windows 10 Home
UPS: CyberPower CP1000AVRLCD 600 Watts
this looks like a psu problem
but it COULD be a board thing

both your board and psu are fancy and nice
I would never dare to throw em

try to see if the psu still has an active warrenty and try getting it replaced.
The ups thing is actually really dumb and worthless
tho having a ups is nice if you sometimes have poweroutages
my corsair hx850i has a built in ups and it has saved my buttocks accouple of times

Have you cleared the CMOS?
Have you double checked the wires to your motherboards front panel connectors?
Have you double checked all the wires from your PSU to the motherboard & GPU, at both ends?
If you can't find the problem it may be worth removing your motherboard from the case and booting outside the case. You may have a short somewhere inside your system.

Solution