Startup problem - dwm.exe, explorer.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

protostar8

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
I am having problems with dwm.exe and explorer.exe starting up correctly sometimes on windows7. It doesn't happen every day. Sometimes it might be a month in between those not starting up. Originally, it was just dwm.exe, but now, it's always both or neither. I can start up explorer.exe via task manager, but I know something has to be causing the issue, so I'd like to get it fixed before it turns into a major problem. I had not installed any new programs when the error first happened. I use ETrust Security Suite and Spybot Search and Destroy to try to keep my PC clean. I also have gotten into the habit of letting firefox remember the last few tabs I had open from the previous day, so if that could be causing the issue with dwm, let me know and I'll stop doing that. I have a homebuilt PC with a valid copy of win7 that I bought, so I can re-install it if needed, but I really don't want to do that and lose all my programs and files. I'm trying to back them all up now though, but it won't happen in a day and it's a hassle to put them all back on pc.

Does anyone know what might be causing this problem and how to fix it (or things to try to see if there is a problem)? Any programs that conflict with these that might be causing this? Thanks!

JolinG

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
Hi,

· Does this happen when you try open any application or program on your computer?

Method 1:

I would suggest you boot into safe mode and place the computer in clean boot and check which third party software/driver is causing the issue:

Boot into safe mode

Perform clean boot

Note: Place the computer back to normal startup by following the step 7 from the clean boot link.

Method 2:

Issues with dwm.exe might link to display. So, you may want to try the steps listed below:

Update the display adapter installed. Steps to update Display adapter:

a) Click Start, type devmgmt.msc and press enter.

b) Expand Display adapter and right click on the sub item and click update driver.

Link for reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly

Status
Not open for further replies.