Startup Repair cannot repair Windows 7 after reverting back from Windows 10

Cspag315

Reputable
Sep 16, 2015
I am having a frustrating issue with my Dell Optiplex 380 with Windows 7 not being able to boot up. Everything worked fine until I upgraded it to Windows 10, decided I didn't like it, and then reverted back to Windows 7. It worked fine for about a week after but then the startup repair comes on every time now at boot up and says it cannot repair this computer automatically. None of the System Recovery Options can help me because 1)Startup repair fails, 2)There is no recorded system restore point 3)I do not have a sys image to recover from and 4) I ran the Memory diagnostic and it came up fine. I am however able to get into the Advanced Boot Options and click Last Known Good Configuration and have Windows actually start up. Which is fine, only that anytime I shut down or restart we are back to the same boot up issue that startup repair can't fix. What I don't know is, once I do get it temporarily booted into Windows what diagnostics can I run to see what my issue is and repair it? I do have the Windows 7 installation disc as I purchased the OS separate from the pc, which I got bare bones at a recycling shop.

Cspag315

Reputable
Sep 16, 2015
Tried doing that. I changed the boot order to load from disk but nothing is coming up. Computer still goes straight to the "Computer was unable to start. Running Startup Repair..." message.

it sounds like reverting back to 7 from win 10 has corrupted the OS. As is the case that I have seen come into my shop a few times since the Win 10 Rollout.
The only way that I was able to fix it was to pull out the hard drive, totally reformat it using diskpart in cmd on another computer, installing the HD back into the unit and installing a fresh copy of Windows 7. Customers seemed to be okay with it, even if they were going to lose a bit of data, in the condition it was in the data was not accessible anyways.

Cspag315

Reputable
Sep 16, 2015