Startup Repair | Can't use keyboard.

Trevor_31

Commendable
Nov 9, 2016
Whenever i boot up my computer i get the bios splash showing ul, and that works fine, i can change things with the keyboard perfectly fine, however once i exit the bios menu, it brings up this screen Startup Repair https://imgur.com/gallery/0LwIt

I cannot press down or enter to start windows normally, and once the timer runs out, it just goes into a black screen.

(I wasnt quite sure where to put this so i just put it in windows 7, new here sorry.)

Solution
Hi there Trevor_31,

Unfortunately, there's a chance that your drive is failing. Do you have some data stored on the drive? In case you do, you can see if some data recovery tool for DOS mode (as your system can't boot), would help you access the data.

Apart from that, you can try to run startup repair. You will need your OS CD though. You have one right?

If the startup repair doesn't work and if you've already backed up the data, you can perform clean OS installation. Once you've done that, it would be a really good idea to check the drives health status out. You can do so with a brand specific or a third party one, testing tool.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)
Hi there Trevor_31,

Unfortunately, there's a chance that your drive is failing. Do you have some data stored on the drive? In case you do, you can see if some data recovery tool for DOS mode (as your system can't boot), would help you access the data.

Apart from that, you can try to run startup repair. You will need your OS CD though. You have one right?

If the startup repair doesn't work and if you've already backed up the data, you can perform clean OS installation. Once you've done that, it would be a really good idea to check the drives health status out. You can do so with a brand specific or a third party one, testing tool.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

Solution

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Can you give some more details? Is Win7 newly installed without the motherboard drivers? Is your motherboard a USB3-only model?

The point here is that Windows 7 does not come with drivers for USB 3.0. Once you exit BIOS and Windows takes over, the USB 3.0 port will no longer work.

That could be the reason why it doesn't accept a keyboard input. However, the crash may be due to other reasons.

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Trying another keyboard normally solves this.

Startup Repair should offer to System Restore which should resolve your issue. If not you may need to manually run Startup Repair or even re-install the OS.

Regardless, you should be backing up your PC. Either a disk imager (Macrium Reflect) or a snapshot tool (RollBack Rx) will work.

Trevor_31

Commendable
Nov 9, 2016
So, i managed to get the keyboard to work in that menu by plugging it into my usb hub instead of directly, no idea why that worked, but im fine with it.

Now that i can get into the startup repair menu, what would be the best way to go about a clean OS installation?

Thanks for the help by the way.