Question Startup/Shutdown Concerns on Prebuilt Windows 10 PC Resolved by Complete PSU Shutdown

Dec 7, 2020
Hi, everybody. First post here. So, I bought a prebuilt PC recently that was a pretty good deal considering the hardware and price point. I've always built my own, but found this deal too good to pass on. Anyway, bought it new and have had no concerns until about a month ago. My PC began to SLOW DOWN. Like way down to the point where it was practically unusable. Power up was horribly slow and the OS was terribly slow to respond once boot finally completed. I would try shutting the PC down or restart and both would take upwards of an hour to complete. So, I resorted to hard shutdowns by holding the power button on the tower. Eventually, I realized that by flipping power off at the PSU and trying a startup that all of my issues were resolved. At this point, that's what I've been doing everytime I use my computer. If I fail to, it will continue to exhibit the same symptoms. Slow boot/restart/shutdown/slow OS operation. Prior to this I had had an issue performing a Windows Update. Not sure if there's a correlation, but I ended up becoming frustrated and performed a clean reinstall and all updates were completed without further issue. So, I assume that an OS issue would not be the culprit at this point. I've manually attempted to update all drivers. Still unresolved. Shutdown possible conflicting software and reboot and still unresolved. On opening task manager I find that my SSD is going balls to the wall and will sit at 100% when this is happening. No updates are being performed and I've checked resource monitor and found nothing particularly out of the ordinary, although I'll admit that I'm a bit of a novice. It's extremely frustrating because I prefer to shut my PC down when not in use. I may just have to start putting it to sleep instead of shutting it down and see if that resolves the problem. Though, I'm sure I'll still be annoyed knowing that there's an unresolved issue. Honestly, I'm beginning to suspect a hardware issue, possibly the power supply, but am not particularly interested in throwing parts at my computer and don't have a spare PSU lying around. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020
System in question: iBUYPOWER - Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i7-9700F - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER - 1TB HDD + 480GB SSD - Black Computer PC BB980 - Newegg.com

I've used ADATA SSD Toolbox to perform multiple health checks on SSD and always get a healthy report. It's an ADATA SU630. I've got more than half of the SSD space free. No overheating on chip.

PSU: Thermaltake PS-TTP-0600NNFAGU-1 600W Power Supply 80+ Gold Non-Modular SI Only Bulk Pack - Newegg.com

Also, I've found that if the PC is used in short succession (ie: Within a day or two of shutdown) it will start fine without having to trip PSU. However, say a week goes by....It's back to hard shutdowns and tripping the PSU. This makes me consider a faulty CMOS battery? But, being the diagnostic noob that I am, I am completely open to being completely off base.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020
So, I'd attempted to use SFC and DISM tools. I was convinced that I was having a software or Windows problem even after clean install. Last week, I ran CHKDSK /R after noticing multiple Error 7 reports in event viewer. Seems to have resolved the problem. If disk errors persist, I'll look into getting a new SSD. For now, all is well.