Question "State Repository Service" hitting 100% CPU usage randomly, causing applications to stall momentarily ?

Feb 4, 2023
Randomly while using a program (lets say a game for example), all my applications would freeze momentarily, and in the Task Manager, the service "State Repository Service" would be using 100% CPU. It lasts only for a few seconds, but it quickly shoots back down to hardly any CPU usage, and everything unfreezes.

I've checked the Event Viewer and I'm left with this error:

"The activation of the CLSID Windows.Media.Capture.AppCaptureManager timed out waiting for the service BcastDVRUserService_e0e3285c to stop." With a source of DistributedCOM and an Event ID of 10029.

I've tried researching this problem for weeks now and haven't come up with anything at all in regards to what this could be. Any sort of help would be much appreciated, as this has been happening frequently enough to become a huge nuisance. If any other information is needed, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to get it.

Feb 7, 2023
Randomly while using a program (lets say a game for example), all my applications would freeze momentarily, and in the Task Manager, the service "State Repository Service" would be using 100% CPU. It lasts only for a few seconds, but it quickly shoots back down to hardly any CPU usage, and everything unfreezes.

I've checked the Event Viewer and I'm left with this error:

"The activation of the CLSID Windows.Media.Capture.AppCaptureManager timed out waiting for the service BcastDVRUserService_e0e3285c to stop." With a source of DistributedCOM and an Event ID of 10029.

I've tried researching this problem for weeks now and haven't come up with anything at all in regards to what this could be. Any sort of help would be much appreciated, as this has been happening frequently enough to become a huge nuisance. If any other information is needed, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to get it.
I've been having the exact same issue word for word for a couple months now and it is driving me crazy. I've also searched for solutions online and none of them work. The internet suggests things like starting/stopping the service, repairing microsoft edge, repairing all microsoft store apps and nothing works for me.

I've also noticed that I can make the state repository state CPU spike at will by opening the microsoft xbox game bar (winkey + g) for the first time I after I start my PC. I press winkey + g after I restart my computer and I'm guaranteed to get the CPU spike. I wonder if the game bar has something to do with it?

Whatever it is, I share your pain. It's highly annoying and it's not an issue I've always had with this build, it just came out of nowhere.

My specs for what it's worth
i9-9900k CPU
Asus Prime Z390-A mobo
Asus Geforce 1070
32 GB DDR4 3600 ram
Samsung Evo 970 plus 1TB OS HDD

Feb 4, 2023
I've been having the exact same issue word for word for a couple months now and it is driving me crazy. I've also searched for solutions online and none of them work. The internet suggests things like starting/stopping the service, repairing microsoft edge, repairing all microsoft store apps and nothing works for me.

I've also noticed that I can make the state repository state CPU spike at will by opening the microsoft xbox game bar (winkey + g) for the first time I after I start my PC. I press winkey + g after I restart my computer and I'm guaranteed to get the CPU spike. I wonder if the game bar has something to do with it?

Whatever it is, I share your pain. It's highly annoying and it's not an issue I've always had with this build, it just came out of nowhere.

My specs for what it's worth
i9-9900k CPU
Asus Prime Z390-A mobo
Asus Geforce 1070
32 GB DDR4 3600 ram
Samsung Evo 970 plus 1TB OS HDD

I'm sorry you have to go through this, too. It's incredibly frustrating, and I've never had this problem either until the last three months or so.

All of the solutions you stated above is what I saw as well, and none of those things fixed it. It very well may have to do with the Game Bar in general, or some facet within it that's causing these spikes, and no one I've seen online has a fix for it that actually works.

What is your pc build?

Sorry, I only just saw this post now. I'll post my specs below:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core CPU (3.6GHz)
Gigabyte B450M DS3H
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER (MSI)
16 GB DDR4 2666 RAM
2 TB Seagate HDD & 500GB Western Digital SSD for OS

Feb 4, 2023
Try disconnecting one monitor and try to boot up. See if anything changes.

Well, for my situation, it doesn't hit 100% CPU usage when I turn my PC on, thats the other user above. My problem just happens randomly, at any given time, hence why it's so hard to troubleshoot. It isn't something I can cause on command.

Oct 16, 2023
I had the same issue, it looks like it was related to Xbox Game Bar in my case, specifically the recording setting. (Note: I was on Windows 11)

Resolution steps
  1. Press Windows+G
  2. Settings
  3. Capturing
  4. Uncheck "Record in the background while I'm playing a game"
Alternative record history options
  • NVidia GeForce Experience
  • AMD Radeon ReLive
  • OBS Studio
Hope this is able to help others! While it doesn't fix the root issue, it's a workaround for now.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2023
I had the same issue, it looks like it was related to Xbox Game Bar in my case, specifically the recording setting. (Note: I was on Windows 11)

Resolution steps
  1. Press Windows+G
  2. Settings
  3. Capturing
  4. Uncheck "Record in the background while I'm playing a game"
Alternative record history options
  • NVidia GeForce Experience
  • AMD Radeon ReLive
  • OBS Studio
Hope this is able to help others! While it doesn't fix the root issue, it's a workaround for now.
I should of checked back on this thread a while ago. I didn't know you responded, it didn't seem like anyone was going to. I knew it had something to do with Xbox game bar but I couldn't figure out what it was. But you got it right, it's the game recording.

I just never thought it could be the game recording because I was experiencing the CPU spikes even when I wasn't playing a game. But you nailed it. It's definitely the game video recorder.

Only thing that sucks is I actually used the gamebar recorder a lot. I guess I'll have to try out another one.