Question Static noise in headphones/speakers after installing new GPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 31, 2020
Hey everyone, recently just installed a 1650 Super to my PC, looked online b4 and all parts are compatible so power shouldn't be an issue here.

Finally got it up and running but as soon as i put my headphones in i can hear loud static through mainly my left but both ears on the headphones, i've also tried using my speakers and a pair of apple headphones which all didn't work so it's not the headphones themself. It's not just static but i can't actually hear any other audio when i try play videos etc. The PC recognizes my headphones when i connect them but to no avail.

If anyone could help that would be appreciated.

fluidz

Reputable
Mar 8, 2018
Does the noise change when you put the gpu under load such as playing a game / stress testing?

A few things I would try :

• Mute the sound completely by clicking the speaker icon in the tasktray to see if the noise stops (checking if it is audio/interference)
  • Remove the gpu (if possible) and use onboard graphics/another gpu, to see if the noise goes away and the audio returns back to normal
  • Try plugging the headphones into the front audio socket on the pc case (if the case has front audio and is connected)
  • Disable the Nvidia audio driver in device manager (In device manager, Sound, video and game controllers, right click "Nvidia high definition audio" and disable device)
  • Right click the little speaker icon in the tasktray, Open sound settings, Sound Control Panel (on the right), right click and disable everything except speakers/headphones)
  • Reseat the graphics card
  • Move the gpu to another pcie slot on the motherboard to rule out the pcie slot
  • Try plugging the headphone into another port at the rear such as aux/mic input, to see if the noise still appears (to see if it is just interference)
  • Reinstall the soundcard driver (and update if an update exists, check the motherboards webpage for an update)
  • Plug your headphones into a 3.5mm ground loop isolator such as : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LYYRT7M/ (this may not work as you can't hear any audio to begin with)
Good luck!

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020
Does the noise change when you put the gpu under load such as playing a game / stress testing?

• Mute the sound completely by clicking the speaker icon in the tasktray to see if the noise stops (checking if it is audio/interference)
  • Remove the gpu (if possible) and use onboard graphics/another gpu, to see if the noise goes away and the audio returns back to normal
  • Try plugging the headphones into the front audio socket on the pc case (if the case has front audio and is connected)
  • Disable the Nvidia audio driver in device manager (In device manager, Sound, video and game controllers, right click "Nvidia high definition audio" and disable device)
  • Right click the little speaker icon in the tasktray, Open sound settings, Sound Control Panel (on the right), right click and disable everything except speakers/headphones)
  • Move the gpu to another pcie slot on the motherboard to rule out the pcie slot
  • Try plugging the headphone into another port at the rear such as aux/mic input, to see if the noise still appears (to see if it is just interference)
  • Reinstall the soundcard driver (and update if an update exists, check the motherboards webpage for an update)
  • Plug your headphones into a 3.5mm ground loop isolator such as : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LYYRT7M/ (this may not work as you can't hear any audio to begin with)
Good luck!

Hey thanks for the reply,

When muting the sound completely on the speakers/headphones it sadly doesn't go away.
I've disabled my onboard GPU because it was the only way i could get my new GPU to be recognized when starting.
Putting the plug into other ports does not do anything different, front and back offer the same static noise
I've disabled NVIDIA audio driver and uninstalled it, nothing changed
I only have one PCIE slot that will fit my new GPU in
Plugging into other aux ports give the same sound
I've reinstalled my soundcard driver and updated with nothing fixed

I'll try reseating my GPU rn but i don't think anything would change, please let me know if there's anything else i can do/If i need to replace a part, i'm not too good with parts

Reactions: fluidz
Oct 31, 2020

Good luck!

Actually, yes just re-tested it. The static gets worse when i'm in a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.