Static Noises coming from computer speakers

misohappi

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014
Hi guys,

Whenever I'm playing a game my computer speakers keeps making static noises. But when I'm just browsing the web the noises either stop completely or becomes very faint. I don't think there's anything wrong with the speakers (it's built into the monitor btw) because they work fine with a different computer. Even when I plug my headphones in there's still a static noise. I just built my computer 2 weeks ago and only noticed now since I switched to a monitor with speakers.

Here are my specs:
intel core i5 4460
ASrock mobo h97m pro4
xfx amd radeon r9 280 gpu
8gb ram

I'm also using a dvi cable because my monitor doesn't have a hdmi port. I'm not sure if that matters though.

Please help.

Thank you in advance!

Solution
If it contacts metal: That's normal for any powered speakers, does the same thing if you touch it with your finger I've found.

Something I haven't considered yet, You aren't driving your speaker (on monitor) volume at 100% while using a low volume setting in windows are you?

Does the static increase/decrease in volume if you adjust your Monitor volume? How about windows volume?

If adjusting your Monitor speaker volume changes the volume of static; You could get better SnR (sound to noise ratio) if you increase your windows volume to max, and adjust your monitor speaker volume to preference.

If adjusting your windows volume adjusts your static volume, it sounds like the problem resides in the computer somewhere (ground loop perhaps...

misohappi

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014

I tried moving my monitor cables around and It didn't do anything. I thought that It might be coil whine but I don't hear anything from my computer parts and the noise stops when I turn off my monitor.

BrandonYoung

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
Almost sounds like a ground loop, is your monitor plugged into the same outlet as your computer?
You say your using your Monitor speakers? DVI being a video only connection, your audio is going into your monitor through a 3.5mm "headphone jack" link cable i would assume. Plug in your headphones, listen for the static, then try unplugging the audio cable going to your monitor (assuming you dont need to unplug it to plug in your headphones).

misohappi

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014

There's no static through the headphones, just the speakers. when I unplug the audio cable going to monitor it stops and returns when i plug it back in.

BrandonYoung

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
Are you unplugging the cable from the monitor or from the computer? If your unplugging the cable from the monitor, try unplugging the cable from the computer and see if the static stops.

Have you tried a different audio cable?

misohappi

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014

Before I tried unplugging everything and plugging it back in but no change. I do not have another audio cable but I don't think that's causing the problem because when I tested it out on a different pc there was no static issue

misohappi

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014

I plugged my audio cable for monitor into the back green color jack on motherboard. I think it's the onboard sound. And my monitor and computer are plugged into the same power strip

misohappi

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014

I plug my headphones in the front jack with the little headphone icon

BrandonYoung

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
If you plug your speakers into the front headphone slot, do they produce the static noise? If so, you could attempt to lift the ground on the monitor to see if this helps, as it kinda sounds like a ground loop to me (this is a adapter that plugs into a socket, that effectivly removes the ground plug).

A ground lift turns a 3 pin power connecting into a "standard" 2 pin (no ground).

misohappi

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014

If i plug it in the headphone slot there's still static. In fact, if the audio cable comes in contact with anything metal there is a loud static loud.

BrandonYoung

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
If it contacts metal: That's normal for any powered speakers, does the same thing if you touch it with your finger I've found.

Something I haven't considered yet, You aren't driving your speaker (on monitor) volume at 100% while using a low volume setting in windows are you?

Does the static increase/decrease in volume if you adjust your Monitor volume? How about windows volume?

If adjusting your Monitor speaker volume changes the volume of static; You could get better SnR (sound to noise ratio) if you increase your windows volume to max, and adjust your monitor speaker volume to preference.

If adjusting your windows volume adjusts your static volume, it sounds like the problem resides in the computer somewhere (ground loop perhaps - get ground lift for monitor).

Monitor speakers aren't really designed to be great, just convenient. Their quality is pretty sub standard compared to even cheap desktop speaker setups in most cases. Perhaps you should investigate a nice quality set of speakers/sound setup for your computer, or stick with the headphones.

Solution

misohappi

Reputable
Dec 6, 2014

It turns out that my monitor speakers were at 100%. The static changes as I adjust my monitor volume. The buzz is very faint when I set the monitor volume very low. I'm not sure why there's static mostly when playing games esp high fps one though. But this fixes my problem for now. I don't have much knowledge in hardware and whatnot so I really appreciate your answers.
I'll be sure to buy a better set of speakers.
Thanks a lot!

Cheers!

BrandonYoung

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
I'm glad we could figure out a fix (somewhat). I would bet its because the internal speakers are low quality, and use unshielded cables, that are getting interference from your monitor.

Seems to be the nature of the beast with 'integrated speakers'. Mine are rubbish, but I love my monitor none the less!