[SOLVED] Static persistent route for internet access

rwaldron

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
I have a GSM Router used for internet access that has a local IP address of 192.168.8.1

Any PC (with DHCP on) Connected to the GSM LAN ports will receive below IP structure and allows internet access

192.168.8.x
SM 255.255.255.0
DG 192.168.8.1

I have another PC (PC2) that I want to give internet access to (but Without changing it's current local IP setup)

Current IP setup of PC (Static)

IP 192.168.1.250
SM 255.255.255.0

PC2 is currently connected to a local switch.
My plan is to connect PC2 to GSM LAN port then connect from GSM Lan port to switch. ( therefore Connecting the 2 networks )

I assume I need to create a static route on PC2 in order to get internet access while also still on the same local network.

Can someone help me with the static route please.

Solution
IF PC2 does not currently have internet on the 192.168.1.x network, the simplest thing would be to add a NIC card to PC2 and let that NIC DHCP to the GSM router.

rwaldron

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013

Hiya, PC2 is in fact a laptop but I was trying to simplify the explanation.
So Currently the Laptop is connected to GSM Router via wifi and Laptop connected to another network via LAN...In this scenario everything works fine ie: there is internet access and local connection for the laptop. But I don't want to use wifi at all. So looking to route laptop between GSM Router and local switch .

A very non standard configuration is to add a secondary ip address to the ethernet. Some programs that are too smart for their own good will sometime pick the wrong ip block but it mostly works.

Be aware connecting these together can cause other issues because all broadcasts are combined. The most common one is you can only have a single DHCP server but other things like network sharing etc that use broadcast packets can get confused.