[SOLVED] stay with 60hz monitor or change to a 75hz monitor

Adrian Lucke

Honorable
Sep 21, 2014
I am looking for a new monitor i am currently looking an Acer R240HY 60hz monitor or an Asus VG245H 75hz monitor that i found on a local marketplace on facebook. I don't play any games, the only games that are played on it is when my young daughter plays games on the disney website. I do have a Asus Radeon rx 570 8gb video card with Freesync. Other than that its just used for normal stuff. So should I stay with 60hz or go to 75hz? any help would be appreciated. thank you.

Solution
For web browsing and movie watching 60 Hz monitor is more than enough. 75 Hz monitor, in a small way, could be considered if you do play faster-pace games on it, which you don't.

Also, 15 Hz is so little increase that you can't tell a difference. For example, i had 60 Hz monitor and i upgraded to 144 Hz monitor since i do play games casually and i can hardly tell a difference. Faster games feel a bit smoother but other than that, not much difference in visible FPS. Though, biggest difference with my new monitor is color accuracy since i had TN panel monitor before and now i'm using VA panel monitor.

So, unless the 75 Hz monitor is cheaper or same price as 60 Hz monitor, there's no point going with 75 Hz monitor. Also, since that 60 Hz...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
For web browsing and movie watching 60 Hz monitor is more than enough. 75 Hz monitor, in a small way, could be considered if you do play faster-pace games on it, which you don't.

Also, 15 Hz is so little increase that you can't tell a difference. For example, i had 60 Hz monitor and i upgraded to 144 Hz monitor since i do play games casually and i can hardly tell a difference. Faster games feel a bit smoother but other than that, not much difference in visible FPS. Though, biggest difference with my new monitor is color accuracy since i had TN panel monitor before and now i'm using VA panel monitor.

So, unless the 75 Hz monitor is cheaper or same price as 60 Hz monitor, there's no point going with 75 Hz monitor. Also, since that 60 Hz monitor is IPS panel and 75 Hz monitor is TN panel, you'd get a LOT better color accuracy and viewing angles with 60 Hz IPS panel monitor than 75 Hz TN panel monitor. Contrast ratio between the two is same and doesn't look good (max 1000:1). If you want better contrast ratio (e.g 3000:1), look towards any VA panel monitor.
Contrast ratio (richest/deepest blacks) is also one of the reasons why i went with VA panel monitor for myself since it helps a lot for my photo editing work. Color accuracy wise, VA panel is very close to the IPS panel monitors.

Long story short:
For your use 60 Hz IPS panel monitor suits better than 75 Hz TN panel monitor. Or you can look towards VA panel monitor if you want better contrast ratio.

Solution