News Steam Breaks Through 30 Million Concurrent Users Milestone

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
Not sure we should be cheering on a platform like Steam that has grown to become a monopoly on the PC.

A Steam platform that is also still very active in Russia and pretended their nose was bleeding when asked about the conflict and their activity in Russia.

Money is what drives Steam, not ethics. Gabe Newell needs the money so his private jet can fly him off to New Zealand when Covid puts everyone else in lockdown.

Last edited:

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
I've not bought a game on Steam in years yet I have bought many games in that time. I definitely wouldn't call Steam a monopoly

Steam falls under the definition of Monopoly and Abusive Dominant Position by many standards.

There is far too little competition, especially in Europe. Steam and Epic are both US stores that dominate the online sales of games in Europe.

The US would never accept Europe dominating billions worth of game sales in the US. Neither should Europe accept US companies dominating the sale of games in their market.

The European Courts, in the well-known United Brands and Hoffmann-Laroche decisions of 1978 and 1979 defined monopoly power (or domination) as “a position of economic strength enjoyed by an undertaking that enables it to prevent effective competition "

Article 82 (former Article 86) of the European Union Treaty states: “any abuse by one more undertakings of a dominant position within the common market or in a substantial part of it shall be prohibited as incompatible with the common market in so far as it may affect trade between Member States”.

Last edited:

BeedooX

Reputable
Apr 27, 2020
I don't, and won't use Steam - well not since it was first launched.

I've emailed Steam, Epic Games and Rockstar to protest against their 'software". I simply don't want high-scores, achievements, social networking, shop fronts, game offers or literally anything else they would offer thinking it provides "value".... just the DRM component and nothing else - none of them seem interested in having a super light-weight launcher.

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
A Steam platform that is also still very active in Russia and pretended their nose was bleeding when asked about the conflict and their activity in Russia.
What the heck does Valve have to do with Ukraine-Russia?

The mind gymnastics of people is mind-boggeling. Are you going to ask water bottle manufacturers about their stance on Vietnam-US or the CIA's Intervention in Chile 1973 or illegal invasion of Iraq....Need I continue?

Keep companies out of politics. I don't think we're helping Ukraine by pressing a digital game shop's stance on a completely irrelevant matter, just because they have customers from that region!🤦‍♂️

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
Not sure we should be cheering on a platform like Steam that has grown to become a monopoly on the PC.

I think calling Steam a monopoly is not well founded and perhaps incendiary. Valve is helping open up the operating system market at great expense of their own. (Linux/SteamOS)

We know what monopolistic practices look like Microsoft did them for decades. Apple does them now. We know what that stench smells like.

That stench is NOT flowing from Valve Inc.

Money is what drives Steam, not ethics. Gabe Newell needs the money so his private jet can fly him off to New Zealand when Covid puts everyone else in lockdown.
You're gonna be alright, little fella!

Reactions: bolweval and King_V

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020

...you do realise that Steam is the most favoured ou of all platforms right? In addition to having the ability to mod your games, you also have a platform that reliably stores your games.

While it does suck that they take that dat 30% cut from your game, it is definitely the place where your game has the best chance of exposure.

Really have no idea what you're saying about that Russia part considering that Valve is an American company.

And no...Gabe isn't even that rich. If he were he would have retired by now.

Steam falls under the definition of Monopoly and Abusive Dominant Position by many standards.

There is far too little competition, especially in Europe. Steam and Epic are both US stores that dominate the online sales of games in Europe.

The US would never accept Europe dominating billions worth of game sales in the US. Neither should Europe accept US companies dominating the sale of games in their market.
Steam isn't preventing anybody from being effective, they ask one of the highest percentages on each game sold which automatically means that everybody else has a good chance of succeeding.

There just isn't anybody in Europe that is willing or able to build a competing platform.

Reactions: bolweval
Oct 24, 2022
The thing about Valve is they hold the weird position of being chaotic neutral as far as monopolies go.

Nearly all PC bought or built run windows.
Nearly all PC games developed are developed only to run on windows because each OS runs a different API.
Windows requires DirectX for PC gaming and Microsoft doesn't charge any licencing fees.
Most developers aren't going to bother with developing games for Mac or Linux unless they are fairly big.
Activision/Blizzard was one of the few companies that regularly released their games for Mac os.
Microsoft just bought Activision/Blizzard.
Valve makes money off of the PC gaming market by being a storefront / distributor.
For about 20 years valve has been making money in the market that should have easily also been dominated by Microsoft, but Microsoft was focused on console gaming when they didn't seem to realize they had the ultimate console in nearly every home.
Apple has no stake in PC gaming. Sony has basically no stake in PC gaming. Nintendo has absolutely no stake in PC gaming. Which essentially leaves individual developers running their weird launchers and store fronts, Valve with steam, Epic with Epic Store, gog, and Microsoft.
Epic , gog , and the weird launchers they aren't ever going to make enough ground to topple a Steam Library because they use the same formula Valve already perfected.
Microsoft has game pass which promises a low monthly fee for unlimited gaming as opposed to to buying games outright which is a very popular model especially if you have interest in a game but don't want to risk buying it and never playing , one of the classic symptoms of seasonal steam sales.
Microsoft could take over the PC games market in this way.
Valve, has been throwing money at developing an os that runs on Linux and bridges the gap caused by the reliance on directx and a Linux based OS.
Valve knows that getting people to switch to a new os is a special kind of 'no one is doing that'. You either already run Linux or you're waiting for gaming to be more prominent on Linux and everyone else is in the never going to happen category.
Enter Steam OS. That weird Big Picture function no one on PC uses. The Steam Link, that tiny box that took PC gaming to the living room tv. Steam Machines, the PCs preloaded with steam OS that no body really went for. And finally, the Steam Deck, the Trojan horse, it's existence a lesson from every failure and training users in the os and it's offerings.
The thing is, yeah, Valve wants to make money, they are a company, it's their prime directive. But they arent going out and buying up game developers to make themselves bigger, they are spending money on open source projects and letting that stuff stay in the wild. If steam fails Gabe said there is a plan in place that everyone keeps the entirety of their library . If Game pass fails there isn't anything to keep because you aren't buying the games. The thing about Valve is, they have never tried to actively harm their customers. They aren't setting prices for anything but their hardware. They aren't creating loot boxes or micro transactions. There is very little need for competition in this area because the only they to compete against is a better cut for developers. It's the one situation I think we can point to where limited competition gave us one of the better results.
What are we going to get if someone like Microsoft takes the major role in PC gaming?

If Steam is a monopoly, why do I have (deep breath) Steam, Epic, GoG, Origin, Ubisoft Connect, Blizzard and that's not mentioning the stanalones like EQ.
Don't get me wrong, Steam could really improve, but it's not really a monopoly?

If Steam is a monopoly, why do I have (deep breath) Steam, Epic, GoG, Origin, Ubisoft Connect, Blizzard and that's not mentioning the stanalones like EQ.
Don't get me wrong, Steam could really improve, but it's not really a monopoly?
GoG is the opposite of steam with all games having no DRM and yours forever, you don't need to have GoG even installed to have access to all your GoG games.
(Yes you can also play lots of steam games without steam installed but not all and you do lose a lot of features)

The main thing that makes steam basically a monopoly is the percentages, all others combined are still a joke compared to Steam.