News Steam Deck 2: Valve Hints at Future of Handheld Gaming PCs

Makaveli

Splendid
If I was going to buy one this is where I would jump in I don't buy first generation products.

Lets hope it has RDNA 3 APU in it and at least Zen 3+ but Zen 4 would be preferable.

If I was going to buy one this is where I would jump in I don't buy first generation products.

Lets hope it has RDNA 3 APU in it and at least Zen 3+ but Zen 4 would be preferable.
For a 1st gen product, the Steam Deck is really well built and thought. The only issues I have with it are battery life and raw performance for latest titles. I'd even argue that disk space is ok-ish, but more is better.

This is to say, for this sort of device, raw performance is not at the top of the list. What good is to have 100FPS for 5 minutes on this type of device?

Looks like the other manufacturers specialized in these ultra portables are looking up to the Steam Deck and taking good lessons from it, plus adding their own improvements.

Regards.

Makaveli

Splendid
For a 1st gen product, the Steam Deck is really well built and thought. The only issues I have with it are battery life and raw performance for latest titles. I'd even argue that disk space is ok-ish, but more is better.

This is to say, for this sort of device, raw performance is not at the top of the list. What good is to have 100FPS for 5 minutes on this type of device?

Looks like the other manufacturers specialized in these ultra portables are looking up to the Steam Deck and taking good lessons from it, plus adding their own improvements.

Regards.

Battery life is indeed the biggest issue with version 1 of the deck.

I don't care too much about raw performance but I would like to see a 60fps target for the next version and not 30. It can stay at the same resolution or go up to 1080p.

In terms of ergonomics the deck lead all others.

Will be interesting to see what changes are made in the next one.

solarasreign

Reputable
Dec 2, 2017
Battery life is indeed the biggest issue with version 1 of the deck.

I don't care too much about raw performance but I would like to see a 60fps target for the next version and not 30. It can stay at the same resolution or go up to 1080p.

In terms of ergonomics the deck lead all others.

Will be interesting to see what changes are made in the next one.
The battery life is affected by the types of games you play. In the emulation scene and indies the battery is quite impressive. For me getting 5-6hrs on indie titles to be great versus a heavier game giving me about 2hrs. For a first gen it's quite impressive imo.

Reactions: _dawn_chorus_

distortnx

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Cannot those games run on Android?
No, and many of the readers on this site likely have gigantic steam backlogs - also safe to say most of us appreciate the open nature of the device (can install Windows or another Linux flavor). I think the timing of this was brilliant on valve's part - right after the pandemic where everyone's libraries I'm sure grew, back to the daily commute as restrictions ease, and the hardware was in the right place. Any earlier (Zen 1, RDNA 1) it would've flopped. The performance and battery life is borderline for me, will be waiting for the next iteration.

Reactions: _dawn_chorus_

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
We already know that Valve is working to prepare a generic SteamOS distribution, so anyone with a PC desktop or laptop can get the latest version of this gaming focused OS up and running. However, it is good to see Valve reconfirmed this initiative, so we know it is one of the top tasks on its check list.

I can't wait to install the generally available SteamOS 3.x