Question Steam - Dota 2 update resetting or going back

4cloud

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
Hello, I haven't played Dota 2 in a while so naturally I had to download an Update that is 5GB, I am 2.5GB thorugh the update which means I have downloaded 50%. I shut down my PC at this point and start up again next day, when I resume the download it says 1.6GB done out of 5GB!!! Where is the missing 900MB??!

I have tried fixes from the Internet saying: Change Automatic Updates to: "Only update this game when I launch it". I've also tried taking the "downloading" files from: Steam> Steamapps> downloading> 570, and copied them to common> dota 2 beta but nothing works.

I've heard this happens because update patches are put out but it shouldnt take away the progress that we've downloaded and even if it does we need a solution for it immediately!!!

This has happened to me 3 times after restarting my PC! I will never be able to fully update Dota 2?

WHERE IS OUR MISSING ALREADY UPDATED FILES!!!? STEAM PLEASE FIX THIS! WE DO NOT WANT TO REDOWNLOAD WHAT WE ALREADY DOWNLOADED JUST BECAUSE OF A 50MB PATCH!

Any solution would be a great help! Thanks in advance!

Spaceghaze

Reputable
Oct 17, 2019
Solution would be to let it update fully before shutting down your computer.

Im guessing that the 2.5 GB update is not a single file, but several files. So when lets say it is downloading a 900mb file that does not complete before the PC is turned off, Steam will just discard it and re-download it when it starts again. Files that are complete are kept.

henterpriser

Reputable
Sep 14, 2019
i'm guessing that the game has been updated while your computer shutted down.

Hopefully your'e 900mb/5gb update
I was about 8gb/9gb install while valve released the 7.20. thanks to valve my insulting language improved so much. : )

4cloud

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
Thanks for your replies sirs! Sorry for my late reply.

The reason I had this problem was because I had a limit of 3GB of Data per day as I was tethering from phone and using 4G so naturally i had a limited amount.

In the end I downloaded using WiFi from a cafe.

However I still have not found a solution to this problem.

Good luck to you limited internet users for future.

4cloud

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
i'm guessing that the game has been updated while your computer shutted down.

Hopefully your'e 900mb/5gb update
I was about 8gb/9gb install while valve released the 7.20. thanks to valve my insulting language improved so much. : )
"game has been updated while your computer shutted down." That was the most common problem I found throughout the internet, however I tried updating almost 15 times and the "5GB" update I had varied and sometimes went down to 3GB and went back up to 7GB... It cant be possible that Dota has that many updates in one go.

4cloud

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
Solution would be to let it update fully before shutting down your computer.

Im guessing that the 2.5 GB update is not a single file, but several files. So when lets say it is downloading a 900mb file that does not complete before the PC is turned off, Steam will just discard it and re-download it when it starts again. Files that are complete are kept.
Yes that was my only solution as steam never saved my files. I understand that the file could have been big also.

Thank you.