[SOLVED] Steam game unfixable stutter and input lag

Jan 27, 2020
Hey guys, sorry if this isn't the correct place to post this I am EXTREMELY new to PC troubleshooting and I don't have a solid foundation of PC knowledge at all really so please bare with me. I've been having gameplay issues in my favorite game (Battlerite) on steam and am now at a loss for how to fix this problem. My problem is that the game is running slightly choppy and there's fairly significant input lag from both my keyboard and mouse. I'm playing with a brand new capable PC build, very fast wired internet connection and up to date software. The issue manifests itsself in a way that makes it appear like I'm dropping frames/stuttering when i play, especially when i move the camera around. My frame rate however isn't actually dropping, it stays well above 60 fps. The games performance is significantly worse than it was on my old computer which was very low end. Enabling vertical sync and accelerate input in the game settings helps enough to make the game barely playable but I'm convinced there is an underlying issue, as without vsync and accelerated input the game isn't playable, it's waaay too choppy and sluggish. I have a freesync monitor and I've tried turning freesync on and off as well as trying different refresh rates and frame rate caps but no luck. I've tested a few other steam games and League of Legends as well, they all seem to be working perfectly fine with no input lag or stutter. It's probably worth mentioning that the issue could be Battlerite itsself but I doubt it. My gut tells me that there is just one small little easily correctable setting or something of that nature that's preventing the game from running correctly but I'm really not sure what troubleshooting to try next, so hopefully someone here will be able to help. Below are my computer specs and troubleshooting steps I've tried. Thanks in advance I'll be checking back as frequently as possible.

WHAT I'VE TRIED
-reseating all of the hardware connectons in my computer
-clean install of windows (twice)
-downloading/updating every driver known to man
-uninstall/reinstall steam and battlerite
-messed with freesync and display settings
-changing Battlerite's priority to high
-monitoring my system's performance/usage in taskmanager while the game is running (nothing is near being maxed out)
-trying every possible combo of in-game settings
-messing with steam settings
-changing various windows settings
-testing internet speeds (very fast)

MY SPECS
ASUS TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING MOTHERBOARD
AMD RYZEN 5 3400G 4-Core 3.7 GHz (4.2 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 65W
Corsair CX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Modular Power Supply
T-Force Vulcan 1TB 2.5 inch SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive SSD
Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Memory Kit
EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 XC ULTRA GAMING, 06G-P4-2167-KR, 6GB GDDR6, Dual HDB Fans

Solution
Hey guys, sorry if this isn't the correct place to post this I am EXTREMELY new to PC troubleshooting and I don't have a solid foundation of PC knowledge at all really so please bare with me. I've been having gameplay issues in my favorite game (Battlerite) on steam and am now at a loss for how to fix this problem. My problem is that the game is running slightly choppy and there's fairly significant input lag from both my keyboard and mouse. I'm playing with a brand new capable PC build, very fast wired internet connection and up to date software. The issue manifests itsself in a way that makes it appear like I'm dropping frames/stuttering when i play, especially when i move the camera around. My frame rate however isn't actually...

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Hey guys, sorry if this isn't the correct place to post this I am EXTREMELY new to PC troubleshooting and I don't have a solid foundation of PC knowledge at all really so please bare with me. I've been having gameplay issues in my favorite game (Battlerite) on steam and am now at a loss for how to fix this problem. My problem is that the game is running slightly choppy and there's fairly significant input lag from both my keyboard and mouse. I'm playing with a brand new capable PC build, very fast wired internet connection and up to date software. The issue manifests itsself in a way that makes it appear like I'm dropping frames/stuttering when i play, especially when i move the camera around. My frame rate however isn't actually dropping, it stays well above 60 fps. The games performance is significantly worse than it was on my old computer which was very low end. Enabling vertical sync and accelerate input in the game settings helps enough to make the game barely playable but I'm convinced there is an underlying issue, as without vsync and accelerated input the game isn't playable, it's waaay too choppy and sluggish. I have a freesync monitor and I've tried turning freesync on and off as well as trying different refresh rates and frame rate caps but no luck. I've tested a few other steam games and League of Legends as well, they all seem to be working perfectly fine with no input lag or stutter. It's probably worth mentioning that the issue could be Battlerite itsself but I doubt it. My gut tells me that there is just one small little easily correctable setting or something of that nature that's preventing the game from running correctly but I'm really not sure what troubleshooting to try next, so hopefully someone here will be able to help. Below are my computer specs and troubleshooting steps I've tried. Thanks in advance I'll be checking back as frequently as possible.

WHAT I'VE TRIED
-reseating all of the hardware connectons in my computer
-clean install of windows (twice)
-downloading/updating every driver known to man
-uninstall/reinstall steam and battlerite
-messed with freesync and display settings
-changing Battlerite's priority to high
-monitoring my system's performance/usage in taskmanager while the game is running (nothing is near being maxed out)
-trying every possible combo of in-game settings
-messing with steam settings
-changing various windows settings
-testing internet speeds (very fast)

MY SPECS
ASUS TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING MOTHERBOARD
AMD RYZEN 5 3400G 4-Core 3.7 GHz (4.2 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 65W
Corsair CX Series 750 Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified Modular Power Supply
T-Force Vulcan 1TB 2.5 inch SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive SSD
Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Memory Kit
EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 XC ULTRA GAMING, 06G-P4-2167-KR, 6GB GDDR6, Dual HDB Fans

It might be something running in the background hogging up all the resources. You can check the task manager to see whats running that you can disable. There are also even more services running in the background that don't show up in the task manager. They can be viewed by opening the 'resource monitor' screen and clicking on the 'services' tab. Research each 'service' before disabling just in case its something you need.

Reactions: aPlasticPotty
Solution
Jan 27, 2020
It might be something running in the background hogging up all the resources. You can check the task manager to see whats running that you can disable. There are also even more services running in the background that don't show up in the task manager. They can be viewed by opening the 'resource monitor' screen and clicking on the 'services' tab. Research each 'service' before disabling just in case its something you need.
Alright do you know of any particular programs to look out for like maybe common resource hogs? And would it be abnormal for Battlerite to be the only steam game that doesnt run properly on my computer? Other games are working perfectly fine.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
@aPlasticPotty

Well, not off the top of my head, you'll know it when you see its usage, in the task manager at least. As a general rule though, you'll want to disable any program or service you don't need, to make things a little easier for you. This is part of what they would call "device hardening" in I.T, a 'bastion host' being a prime example of one.

TRENDING THREADS