Steam Machine Prototype Previewed from iBuyPower

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeh

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
You can use an external optical drive, I guess.
I don't think it's an Athlon, most likely going to be an APU+dGPU. Hopefully some decent memory, doesn't even have to be much (who seriously needs more than 4gb *today*).

Obviously, future-proofing would require 8gb, but I see no point in feeding a lot of ram to a mid-performance machine, which is going to be obsolete by the time it's using more than 4gb.

I hope I get plenty of freebies when I load the steam linux thinger on my llano m-atx build. ;-)

I expect a bunch of Indie titles available, with some freebies, for my efforts in becoming a statistic used to promote additional sales.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Looks good, but please Valve make a black version to go with the controller, looks much better together. I like the feature that you can turn off the light, catering to all preferences. This will put up a good fight against consoles. I've read on another site that this particular model is using a Radeon R9 270, so it should indeed be able to manage 60 fps at 1080p considering the lower overhead of SteamOS and OpenGL.

AFAIK, there's no triple A titles for Linux anyway, it almost wouldn't matter what graphics is in place if its all indie titles. They make the claim of 1080p / 60fps without any indicator of the actual demands on the hardware, which can't be very much at this point. I still think its just a box for Indie titles so far.

What we really need is an article is about which serious developers are going to make Crysis 3 / Tomb Raider type titles for Linux. Until that happens, Steam machine is irrelevant.

So, it's a box with a light on it. I wonder if it actually does anything and, if so, how well it does it. I find that to be more important than the colour of the light.

Really, Tom's, this is a complete non-story. Don't you guys have anything interesting to write about? Pretty boxes - Jeez!

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
White box with black controller. Fugly light colors. Controller with almost no buttons whatsoever, and also fugly. Sure why not? Let the retards buy that.

booyaah

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Looks pretty boring...why couldn't the make it have a bunch of gold gears on a black background? You know, kind of like an actual steam machine.

teun680

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
@emad_ramlawi You really have no f**king idea what you're talking about. The steam box will use a 28nm APU to use for CPU power.

chaospower

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013

How do u know that? the 28nm APUs still have quite some time until they are released. I think it's more likely that it'll use one of those fm2 athlon cpus, them being exactly like current APUs only without built in graphics (as it doesn't need that, if it uses an r9 270- as posted on other sites).

They also say it'll cost 500$, and that is a damn good price for a pc like that, considering the cost it takes to design it to be so small. mini itx motherboards are also more expensive than regular ones.

Their claim that it can run any steam game at 1080p with 60fps sounds silly to me, i'd like to see a pc like that running Metro Last Light on its highest settings with 60fps... that'll be a miracle.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
The real question here will be if they can truly get the price "competitive against the PS4 and Xbox One." There are already AAA games on Linux. Not the latest releases, but nearly all Valve titles are on there currently as well as Metro Last Light and several others.

Sell the consoles and games will come. All they need is a couple decent launch titles and maybe an exclusive. HL3? Porting to this should be relatively easy given how everything shares the same architecture now. The beauty of this thing is that it's not an Xbone, not running Windows, and its related to Microsoft in any way.

MY GUESS AT PARTS:

If it's $500 or less and has a DEDICATED graphics card, my guess is these specs:
- HD7790 graphics card (1GB or 2GB)
- FX-6300 AMD CPU
- 8GB, 1600MHz DDR3 memory.

It makes no sense to use an APU as dual-graphics works very poorly (APU GPU + dedicate graphics card). It's NOT Crossfire either. There was a Tomshardware article about dual-graphics in laptops.

Status
Not open for further replies.