[SOLVED] Steam not detected gta v after reinstalling windows ?

PeyoteFTW

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
I place my games on D, so before reinstalling my windows i cut gta v folder to another location, after i reinstall windows i am installing steam and put put back gta v in common folder, and i start steam but gta v is not downloaded/installed. Should i click on install first so steam can detect or what should i do?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I place my games on D, so before reinstalling my windows i cut gta v folder to another location, after i reinstall windows i am installing steam and put put back gta v in common folder, and i start steam but gta v is not downloaded/installed. Should i click on install first so steam can detect or what should i do?
You need to reallocate the game location to wherever GTA is now.
Your steam and registry is configured in a way to be able to map the address of every file, when you reinstall windows, this changes, so quite often reinstalling windows means reinstalling programs.

Steam is a bit of an exception, as it can simply be redirected, but you should just need to right click on the game, and change the local files directory.

If you missed moving absolutely anything during the reinstallation, you may need to reinstall the game.

Reactions: PeyoteFTW