Steam Now Selling Non-Gaming Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
It is a start of a new vision on how online stores should be. Steam just makes the first step...
I think that, in 10 years from now, there would be a lot more high-quality stores like Steam.
Steam is a definite pioneer in this kind of thing, but the progress won't stop on it.

"Hymn of Steam". Click, and sing along with it if you truly like Steam.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I can see how some might be interested/benefit from this, but personally I have little interest. Most programs nowadays have some sort of integrated update checker, so there's hardly ever a reason to go combing the website for updates or patches. Don't like cloud services, so I wouldn't be using that. Really the only real upside is probably the chance to get good deals on software, but how often is that gonna happen? Good luck to anyone who is looking forward to this. I hope it works out well for you.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
So now instead of buying the software directly from the site and getting the updates sent to me automatically through the software as long as the company exists, I can buy the software through Steam and have Steam update the software.

So what?

Is Steam going to give me the license longer than the company? They wouldn't do that, it's still up to the publisher whether the product is updated for free or requires a new purchase. All you do when you buy software online is buy the license number. I mean, sure it's nice having things served through one platform, but the only advantage I see is slight convenience. What happens if your account is compromised or you just have a falling out with Steam? Not only do you lose your games now, but also your software as well. This is expensive software too, professional grade. People have to realize the risks that come along with convenience. If your house only has one door, it's more secure against being entered. But if that door becomes compromised itself, you are trapped.

I'll manage more than one account for my software, thanks.

Teeroy32

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
DRosencraft
I can see how some might be interested/benefit from this, but personally I have little interest. Most programs nowadays have some sort of integrated update checker, so there's hardly ever a reason to go combing the website for updates or patches. Don't like cloud services, so I wouldn't be using that. Really the only real upside is probably the chance to get good deals on software, but how often is that gonna happen? Good luck to anyone who is looking forward to this. I hope it works out well for you.
But wouldn't having all your software updating in the one place be better then have several updaters running at once chewing resources and bandwidth, you know just like Linux has done for eons, damn it sucks when you turn on your machine and flash is harassing you, same for java, chrome, Firefox adobe reader, package management on Linux has always been one of its shining lights, good to see apple has got on board with that idea a few years ago and now MS is finally doing it with win 8, only problem with Apple and Microsoft they release the patches when they feel like it, Linux a patch is generally available within a day after the problem has been found, I can see Linux becoming a lot stronger in the next few years, it won't beet Windows for ages if ever, but I don't laugh any more when Mark Shuttleworth reckons Ubuntu will have 5% of the desktop market soon, now with Steam coming to Ubuntu I can see quite a few techy gamers will at least give it ago, and when they get used to it and see the benefits several of them will stay, gaming is all I keep windows for, oh, and streaming to my bloody 360, but I have a new rig now, I'll just convert what I want to watch in a couple of minutes and just use a flash drive, The 360 is a bit redundant now, I use my old Pentium 4 Prescott with a HD6670 as a HTPC any way, online movies and shows (ABC Iview is all I can watch on a silver account in Aus) and never have to worry about what bloody format its in

Dec 2, 2011
After that updated user agreement that told me to accept losing legal rights or accept losing my games I'm pretty leery of buying anything else steam related for quite awhile. After getting the last of my pre-orders I think I'm just gonna keep it offline for a while.

Steam's never done me wrong, but I'd be a fool not to be cautious now.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]spasmolytic46[/nom]After that updated user agreement that told me to accept losing legal rights or accept losing my games I'm pretty leery of buying anything else steam related for quite awhile. After getting the last of my pre-orders I think I'm just gonna keep it offline for a while.Steam's never done me wrong, but I'd be a fool not to be cautious now.[/citation]

WAH! WAH! WAH!

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]So now instead of buying the software directly from the site and getting the updates sent to me automatically through the software as long as the company exists, I can buy the software through Steam and have Steam update the software.So what?Is Steam going to give me the license longer than the company? They wouldn't do that, it's still up to the publisher whether the product is updated for free or requires a new purchase. All you do when you buy software online is buy the license number. I mean, sure it's nice having things served through one platform, but the only advantage I see is slight convenience. What happens if your account is compromised or you just have a falling out with Steam? Not only do you lose your games now, but also your software as well. This is expensive software too, professional grade. People have to realize the risks that come along with convenience. If your house only has one door, it's more secure against being entered. But if that door becomes compromised itself, you are trapped.I'll manage more than one account for my software, thanks.[/citation]

For anyone that has ever encountered a hacked Steam account. Its not too difficult to recover it. It may seem a little difficult to contact Steam, but you literally have to provide proof of ownership of the account (any registered retail cd key typically works.

The new Steamguard is also another great way to protect your account. When enabled, Steam automatically detects if your logging in using a new computer and sends an email to verify and submit a temp login key to verify your accessing your account from another email. So unless both your steam account and your personal email are compromised, its 1 more step to verify and protect the user (No other digital distribution service provides this kind of protection.

So far, it doesn't seem like Steam will be offering yearly license programs like AutoCAD or LabView etc that are typically several $1000 for licenses. Certain 'yearly refresh programs like Nero or other Audio/Video editing software don't require yearly renewal services, so my guess thats the current target software.

Nobody is forcing you to use Steam nor are they forcing you to buy yearly renewed licenses either. Steam is simply offering a one stop place to organize and manage all your games and now software. (Backing up is a breeze, simply copy your steamapp folder or use the backup utility to transfer to an external harddrive and you can skip installing or download everything multiple times)

G

one thing to keep in mind is that when you pay steam money for a program you are actually not buying or licensing the program like you do when you go to other stores or websites.

its a subscription and valid only to you and while you maintain an account in good standings with steam. steam can at any time close your account or block you from even logging in or accessing the software that you paid money for. so they close or block your account of any reason and you will not be able to access any of the software that you licensed until you resolve it with them on their terms, if any!

http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

this was very apparent recently when steam changed its licensed agreement and everyone had to first ok the new license agreement before they could even access any of the software the they subscribed to with the old license agreement. people who did not agree with the new license agreement were not given any other chose but to agree to the new license agreement or to close their account or remain without access to the software that they subscribed to and paid for until they agreed to the new terms. and they can change their license agreement and/or terms at any time!

also, they do not guarantee that you will even have access to the software or that it will be updated or supported by the developers. at any time steam can and does go down, sometime of a few seconds and sometimes for hours and during that time you do not have access to your software. even when steam is up it sometimes is very busy and again you may not have access to your software. it's very frustrating to want/need to use the software that you've paid for and be blocked and have no clue what is going on. there is no number to call. the only thing you can do is create a ticket and wait for days or weeks until you get the automated response and then try to work it out with them. by then the service is up.

also, software on steam is updated usually after the main software is updated by the publisher. they have their own update system as some have posted and that sometime because a problem when you wait months, years and even never for an update. and steam has a very strange and dated way of updating software. sometime you end up having to download the whole thing again. i mean 20 gb game and 20 gb update for 1 byte change! now steam publishers have been changing over to a new format that is like differential format, but their is no guarantee when and if that will happen with any specific title. also when a publisher wants to make a release they submit it to steam, and them steam releases in valve time, and if you don't know what that means you better learn what valve time means!

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time

so while steam has some positives it also has some very important negatives that people need to be aware of that steam does not make clear and often obscure by their use of word such as purchase, buy, ect when they dont mean those words they mean subscribe to subscription that steam at any time can change and subscription where you never ever own any of it and only have access while steam does not close or block your account.

and with regards to steam blocking your account, if you ever, ever do a charge back or have a dispute with your credit card steam will automatically block your account and you will not have any access to any of the software and its not always clear how many days or weeks you will have to wait after you give in to them before they will let you back in

there is no phone number to call. all you can do is create a ticket and sweat it out, they will tell you what if anything you have to do

also, on some purchases that steam flags as suspicious, like too many purchases during the same day, they will again automatically block your account and your only option is to create a ticket and wait days, and if's a weekend, an extended weekend, will it can take a week or more before they get around to getting back to you and unblocking your account.

and also with regards to them blocking your account beware if you you pay with services like paypal or even a credit card that from time to time challenges the purchase or flags the purchase. your account will automatically get blocked until they get paid

one more point, all sales are final. no refund, exchange, ect. no i didn't play it or i didn't download it, ect. you will lose and if you try a charge back like i said its locked out until they are happy. now they do at times offer a one time refund, but i dont know how they will implement or allow that for things other than games which could be very expensive.

so you better know that you want it before you subscribe!

finally, how do i know all these things well sadly they and more have happened to me :( now i'm stuck with years of buying from them, well not buying subscribing. was not apparent to me until years later that there was a difference. they word it so very well.

steam faq

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_cat.php?s=70fb1e46644a88fdeb1f0bf631b4bdf9&id=3

G

i agree wah, wah, wah, boo-ho-hoo! ;)

but its the truth i buy the very same game at amazon.com and i do not need to be hooked to amazon service it runs great even if i close my amazon account

even with ea i can get chat support or even phone support. wait till you have to wait days or weeks with steam

finally, you cant give your game to someone else, you cant transfer, later sell as used, ect. and when you die well its not going to your nephews or grand children

that account was only yours and no body elses. steam catches that you transfer or let someone else use your account and it blocked for ever!

and their is no i'm sorry can i still have access to my other games. its blocked and no one will help you.

so before you make to much fun try a charge back for a game like breach or dino beatdown which clearly did not mean the front page advertisement as acknowledged by even the developers

cobra5000

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
[citation][nom]DRosencraft[/nom]I can see how some might be interested/benefit from this, but personally I have little interest. Most programs nowadays have some sort of integrated update checker, so there's hardly ever a reason to go combing the website for updates or patches. Don't like cloud services, so I wouldn't be using that. Really the only real upside is probably the chance to get good deals on software, but how often is that gonna happen? Good luck to anyone who is looking forward to this. I hope it works out well for you.[/citation]
My, aren't you special.

"The user's work is also stored in the Steam Cloud space so that files can be accessed anywhere."
I just read yesterday that if you read the terms of agreement of any cloud system, you will find out that anything you post on a cloud system "does not belong to you, it belongs to the company providing the cloud system".

Kinda not interested at all in it then.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Unless they give a -75% discount, I am not going to get myself lock into a DRM. The only reason i got into steam is just for that -75%. Nothing more.

G

cats_paw

re: cloud

if you look at the terms and conditions for using the cloud its a little worse this that they can sell the stuff you publish to the cloud and not pay you anything! and if they do decide to pay you then its 30% for you 70% for them!

ouch!

re: 75% off sales

yes i buy quite a bit of old stuff at 75% or more when they have their big sales

but i tend to my by aaa titles other places because of the list i posted above

still over the years ive amassed a list of hundreds of games, most of which i would never have bought

still at those deep discounts a real bargain.

but just keep in mind those games are not yours! so what exactly are you paying for, well sort of limited unguaranteed access to them while your account is in good standing and they don't decide to close it for any unspecified reason

so think of it like music subscription service. ouch for people who pay $60-$70 or nowadays more for a new aaa game on steam not knowing what they are getting into.

G

man i just check steam workshop agreement and its even lower than i posted they optionally may pay 25% adjusted gross revenue, i think apple, microsoft, google, blackberry ect store you get a much better deal.

further more value can create derived works based on your work and is under no obligation to pay you anything for those. only your original work!

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/workshoplegalagreement

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Well, seeing as Gabe has said he will never sell the company and he is taking remedial steps to have Steam on Linux, Windows will not likely move to walled garden for gamers. If anything Steam will be given a special status even if all other programs do get walled off
40 million people that choose to pay for games rather than use cracked versions are also more likely to pay for legitimate versions of Windows
Steam users outnumber the worldwide number of desktop Linux users by around 2.5 to 1, Microsoft would do well to keep people who are willing to spend money on legitimate software sweet or they run the risk of almost trebling a free alternative

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
The idea is good, but when it comes to 3DMark Vantage and 3DMark 11, I don't see them selling well on Steam. Why ? Because Steam always has to be running in the background when it comes to running games or applications bought through Steam, and as any benchmarker knows, you want to compare your best benchmarks against other people's best benchmarks. That includes not running / closing any non essential applications that would otherwise potentially lower the score.

Unless Steam allows the benchmarks to run without having to run Steam, I don't see them sell well at all compared to their off-line versions.

rahulkadukar

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
I have more than a 150 games on Steam but their Customer service is terrible. They need to incorporate a live chat system because people have more issues with software as compared to games.

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]rahulkadukar[/nom]I have more than a 150 games on Steam but their Customer service is terrible. They need to incorporate a live chat system because people have more issues with software as compared to games.[/citation]
As Valve only sell it and not make the software, you should still contact the makers, but having that company tech support department on your Steam Friends list should fulfill that requirement and all vendors should have a one available to be added as a pre-requisite

capsiconi

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
spasmolytic46 & jbx007 (most points) got it spot on.

Why buy something with added DRM when its simultaneously available from other places DRM free?!

The fact that Steam purchases are "licenses" that are contingent on a "subscriptions" totally puts me off.

Only time will tell if Steams apps store will prove to be a threat to Amazon.

Somehow I doubt it. Amazon is so far ahead in terms of service and offering that Steam will be hard pressed to catch up. The only advantage Steam has over Amazon is that Steam is not as regionally restricted as Amazon seems to be. If Amazon had a level playing field in terms of regional licensing, Steam would have some serious competition from Amazon in terms of game sales, let alone apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.