Steam on 2 HDD's

ms-d05

Prominent
Jan 2, 2019
Hello, I recently installed an SSD into my PC and cloned my existing HDD onto it.
After realizing it was pretty pointless (Don't even know why I did it) I decided I'm gonna wipe the SSD and just keep my original copy of windows and files on the HDD. My questions are,

1: If I reinstall Windows on the SSD, as long as the power to the HDD isn't connected I'm assuming It won't affect the HDD? (Silly question I know, but can't be too safe)

2: When I reinstall windows on the SSD, I'm assuming I can make a shortcut on the SSD to access
steam, and play my games? (Again, just wanna be sure before I do this)

I know this is a single post with 2 questions, but I thought it would be a bit pointless making 2 posts at the same time. Sorry if this is against any rules or such, and thanks in advance!

-Peter

Solution
1) that is correct.
2) under the settings in steam, navigate to downloads, then there should be a button near the top that says steam library folders, you can add multiple folders regardless of which drive for your steam to read the games from. Additionally when installing new games you can choose which drive to install them to.

Also, if you run into issues where you see a "dual boot" option upon starting your computer after plugging back in your HDD, you can search MSCONFIG via the search option in windows, navigate to the boot tab and delete the boot option for your HDD, which will make your SSD your default boot drive and you wont see the two options when starting your pc.

Tumeden

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016
1) that is correct.
2) under the settings in steam, navigate to downloads, then there should be a button near the top that says steam library folders, you can add multiple folders regardless of which drive for your steam to read the games from. Additionally when installing new games you can choose which drive to install them to.

Also, if you run into issues where you see a "dual boot" option upon starting your computer after plugging back in your HDD, you can search MSCONFIG via the search option in windows, navigate to the boot tab and delete the boot option for your HDD, which will make your SSD your default boot drive and you wont see the two options when starting your pc.

Solution