[SOLVED] Steam on Mint 19

chuffedas

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
As you will be able to tell, I am new to Linux.
Could somebody please talk me through how to install something correctly?
Let's use Steam as an example if that is ok and appropriate?

I am sure that I have seen it somewhere but can't find it.
So I think I need to install it.

I have been told I should use my distribution's Package manager.
When I search for that, it comes up with Synaptic Package Manager. Is that the same thing?

I searched in the above for Steam and it shows up a few things.
One of which is 'Steam-Installer'.

I feel like I am doing it right, but when I double click, it says it will remove stuff.
So I hope you don't mind, I thought I would check I am on the right lines first.
Cheers.

chuffedas

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Awesome. Thank you.
Bookmarked.
Good to have a known good link to info. I looked up info and got it wrong earlier.

You should see something along of the lines of "Install New Applications" in the Mint menu. Open it, search for steam, click Install.
Thanks.
As such a noob, still trying to jam the new words into this sludge I call a brain.

"Software manager" was where I had seen it before a few days ago and forgot all about its existence.

I was thinking that was for already installed software. Durr.

Don't think I am quite ready for Arch yet, do you?

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Awesome. Thank you.
Bookmarked.
Good to have a known good link to info. I looked up info and got it wrong earlier.

Thanks.
As such a noob, still trying to jam the new words into this sludge I call a brain.

"Software manager" was where I had seen it before a few days ago and forgot all about its existence.

I was thinking that was for already installed software. Durr.

Don't think I am quite ready for Arch yet, do you?

Haha, Arch is for masochists!

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Steam doesn't officially support Arch... so you're going to have headaches hear and there, Arch in general is a big migraine. I would pick Manjaro over Arch since it is easier to deal with plus the Gaming Edition gives you a ton of emulators and Optimized graphics card drivers. Manjaro uses the Arch repo but gives you options to install other than just command line everything.

I can think of better Distros for gaming though over Mint.

-Ubuntu GamePack comes preinstalled with Steam, Play on Linux, Wine, Lutris,Oracle Java and Adobe Flash. Out of the box that gives you something like 6000 supported games.

Fedora Games Spin, SparkyLinux - Gameover Edition and both designed around gaming though Spin is the lighter weight of the two.

Reactions: King_V

chuffedas

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Steam doesn't officially support Arch... so you're going to have headaches hear and there, Arch in general is a big migraine. I would pick Manjaro over Arch since it is easier to deal with plus the Gaming Edition gives you a ton of emulators and Optimized graphics card drivers. Manjaro uses the Arch repo but gives you options to install other than just command line everything.

I can think of better Distros for gaming though over Mint.

-Ubuntu GamePack comes preinstalled with Steam, Play on Linux, Wine, Lutris,Oracle Java and Adobe Flash. Out of the box that gives you something like 6000 supported games.

Fedora Games Spin, SparkyLinux - Gameover Edition and both designed around gaming though Spin is the lighter weight of the two.
Many thanks, interesting stuff.