Question Steam ongoing issue

crackz

Commendable
Feb 27, 2018
I have a problem that keeps coming back to me. It fixed itself and after a month or two ALWAYS comes back.
When I run steam, It usually won't start. It will be stuck saying "Checking for available updates..." If I restart my PC and enter safe mode with networking, steam will behave normally and allow me to download, view the store, my profile, etc. whereas if I boot my PC normally without safe mode, it will show me a black screen on each tab (instead of store / market / profile, etc. I will have a black screen) . Also in the library, the game icons won't load, nothing will download and I won't be able to play my game without updating it. Unless i start my PC in safe mode with networking and update it from there.

It's been getting on my nerves lately, I tried contacting Steam support, but I got automated answer, which really sucks.
View: https://imgur.com/a/lKdAWjH

I tried:
  • Reinstalling steam, more than 2 times
  • Deleting steam package folder to force steam to update itself
  • Creating steam shortcut and adding "-tcp" prefix
  • Installing steam on a different HDD
  • Cleared the hosts file
  • Updated all drivers
  • Disabling anti-virus software
  • Disabling Windows Defender
  • Allowed Steam and Steam web helper through firewall
  • Switching off the router
I don't remember what else I tried, but I've been having this issue since the beginning of 2019 and I tried mostly everything. This keeps coming back to me for no reason, if anyone had similar experience and managed to solve it, please share your solution. Thanks.

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit

By reinstall steam, do you mean a full rebuild?

To have Steam rebuild fully, Delete the ENTIRE contents of the STEAM directory with the following exceptions:

Steam.exe
The contents of the directory : steamapps/common (this is where your games are stored, with a few exceptions)

Once done, rerun Steam.exe as admin, and it will rebuild.
You'll need to relog into steam with your username/password, and pass any authentication you have set up.