Steam To Drop Support For Windows XP And Vista By 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
The push from MS to shut down usage of all the old versions of Windows goes much deeper than support issues... after all, in addition to age, and flaws, There is the biggest snoop/snitch at Microsoft's disposal: Cortana. Microsoft wants you on "the latest and greatest," where, by default with a one finger salute to the users and their privacy, Cortana tells all to Redmond. This still in spite of all the "improvements" to privacy controls. Yeah, that isn't exactly on topic...

I can understand the Steam move, as XP and Vista won't support the newest versions of the browser, and privacy and security laws are mandating certain security support features only found in the newest/newer browsers. THIS affects Steam as well since you can make purchases through the steam app.

randomizer

Champion
Microsoft plans to end support for Windows 7 in 2020, which is a little over one year and seven months from now. So it makes sense for people to finally upgrade to the latest Windows 10 once and for all, since that's the version of Windows that Microsoft plans to support going forward.

If Valve has supported XP for this long after Microsoft dropped support you might get away with running Windows 7 until 2024. Or Windows 8.1 until 2027. No need to subject yourself to biannual breakage just yet.

A problem I have with this is that there are a number of older games that have issues running on current Windows versions, and these titles may no longer be functional after this.

And while XP might not be practical for a primary system these days, systems running the OS can still be used for playing older games, or even many newer ones from small developers. I'm sure there are still plenty of XP systems hanging around in homes, even if most might not be getting used on a daily basis. It's unfortunate that it won't be possible to run games on these systems, at least without re-acquiring them somewhere else.

It would be better for Valve to provide a low-maintenance version of the client, even if it just offered the basic "small mode" features, or simply behaved more like offline mode. The existing offline mode might work as a solution for games that are already installed, but even that won't be particularly useful if re-installation is ever needed.

There is one free upgrade path: steam on Linux, with beta steam play enabled - most if not all DX9 games should run fine. No privacy problem, no hardware upgrade needed, no license required, heck you can simply backup your current games and restore them once you are done reformatting.

Many of us have old systems running older software for nostalgia reasons. Old game support for the most part and favorite computers you just did not want to part with.
I only have 2 computers running windows 10.
An older I5 2400 with a GTX 1070 folding 24/7/365 except for windows updates. (had 10 pro on it when I received it.)
And a new gaming laptop that does not have Win 7-8 drivers available for it.
I will stick with patched 7&8 to stop 10s Microsoft gets a copy of everything you do on your computer. And we all get to beta test for free the next great update.
And automatically uploading up to 500gig of windows updates to other internet computers each month as a default setting.
The list goes on forever and ever.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Since you brought it up, you can disable Cortana (and other things), alter privacy settings, even run with an offline account if you're paranoid. All this and even "sideload" programs (conventional installer) without jailbreaking. They even prompt for a lot of these settings on new installs. Meanwhile most of the people crying about this have a phone that is FAR more pervasive in spying for the world's biggest ad firm. So quick to take ANY article that's remotely about MS and use it as an opportunity to soapbox about supposed privacy offenses, yet crickets on a far greater offender. It's what they DO with the data that is important. You've got almost no real say without rooting, and even then unless you wipe the phone and put a custom OS (like LineageOS), you're still monitored. You should request what Google has on you some day and think about where 90% of their revenue comes from. Free services aren't free.

Games downloaded from Steam? Hmm... Steam typically offers versions with compatibility shims/updates/emulators/etc. I can't think of anything in my library that wouldn't run on a Win7+ box. There are even games on Steam that are bundled with a preconfigured DOSBox that takes care of things so a novice user doesn't have to fiddle with configuring it. With that being said:

Bingo. Even if there's anything in your Steam library that absolutely will not run on a newer version of Windows, there's always a way. If you own an older machine for nostalgia purposes, you can always find a standalone installer. Just uh, try to keep old unsupported systems off the web or heavily locked down.

Microsoft plans to end support for Windows 7 in 2020, which is a little over one year and seven months from now

A year and 7 months? It is more like a year and 13 days now! Jan 14 2020 do not sure where you guys got the 7 months from!

majaczos22

Prominent
Dec 8, 2018
What they did was a dick move. If XP doesn't support the newest browser just don't include it. Make a legacy launcher which allow people with older OSs start their games and continue developing Steam for modern systems.

And no, I won't upgrade to Windows 10 because it costs more than my entire setup. No, you can't get it for free or cheap (legally).

Allen Millington

Reputable
Jul 7, 2014
@zenmas95: When you realize that not spending money is easier than earning money, maybe you'll realize the value of money. Over the course of my dad's lifetime, $5 used to buy what requires $50 today. Back in 2000, $1,000,000 was considered enough to retire on. In 35 years from now, when I reach retirement age, it will be at least 2M required (2% inflation) or perhaps higher. Frivolous spending isn't the answer. If tech suits the user's needs, there is no need to upgrade.

siman0

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
ehh people going to be playing older games will probably want to look at ubuntu. Steam has fairly good emulation for windows games. I think it makes more sense than keeping your customers on a already compromised, out of date OS...

so your entire setup is an cheap old old chromebook? lol

if you can afford to have an internet connection (unless your living in your moms basement or stealing your neighbors wifi) you can afford a copy of windows 10

if you are still using XP you are one of the reasons why microsoft had to get tough with security updates with windows 10

If you have Windows 7 Home/Pro/Ultimate or newer Yes you can still upgrade for free.

alextheblue

Distinguished

That doesn't tell us anything about Valve/Steam support. MS ended support for XP ages ago and Steam just now dropped it. I suspect Steam will support Windows 7 for a few more years.

I was correcting their error. Not talking about steam support. If they were to keep the same length of support it would be 2024 then for Windows 7 (4 years) but with how things are already dropping support for windows 7 (Office 2019 and other programs that I know ill drop support very quickly in 2020 As i do IT work and work with a lot of medial/tax people which have to stay up to date)

but again they said a year and 7 months making it july of 2020 when it is jan of 2020

That's because the article was written back during the summer. They just recently added a quick reminder at the beginning and bumped it.

majaczos22

Prominent
Dec 8, 2018

No, a cheap (now) Core2Duo setup with Xeon on its way.

Windows 10 copy costs more than a full year of internet access. Cable, my computer doesn't support Wifi.

I din't and the only copy you can have not is pretty much illegal. And I don't think they still offer a free upgrade anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.