Steam won't start on windows 8.1

G

So when I start steam after a fresh install and I try to install one of my games it just closes up and I can't start it without reinstaling steam. Every time i try to install a game this happens. I have all the latest drivers and net framework installed. Any ideas why this is happening?

Solution

Don't know if this will help you, but I've found that some of the Windows 8.1 weirdness (if NEELESH1998's 'Verify integrity of game cache' doesn't fix it) can be resolved by installing the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5. However, you HAVE to do it from within Windows 8/8.1: don't download the Framework because when you don't get compatibility warnings, you'll have the installer just stop and disappear. :-/

It's easy to install, though: you use...

NEELESH1998

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
Go to the game properties and look for.. Verify integrity of game cache.

What the above poster said. It's probably your firewall or something blocking the games. I had trouble loading some saved games for a bit with win 8 and had to run the game as a new game start and then load my old save. Steam has some files that are needed to start games also that might be getting blocked like steam bootstrapper or whatever it's called

Windows 8.1 has a lot of complications right now, might be best to revert to 8 for the time being.

I also have experienced and still experiencing so many issues. From STEAM launch problems to games not launching. I've tried all the known things to do. And, sometimes resintalling .NET from programs and features work and sometimes it doesn't. I've also tried a fresh install and redownloading the STEAM games. Yes, I lost over 2 Terrabytes due to this. I'v etried the latest Nvidia R331 drivers. Nothing seems to stop it from coming back. IF I get it to work if I have to shut down or reboot it wll come back upon rebooting. Needless to day, Im 1000 percent convinced STEAM and Windows 8.1 is BORKED. What is being done about it? So far googling everything NOTHING. Generic responsis from STEAM and Microsoft about verifying game cache. You konw the same ole' responses. Hello if you've reinstalled your entire PC and started from scratch for it to come back then obviously Windows 8.1 and STEAM aren't playing nice together. As I said I've gotten it to work temporarily by reinstalling .NET 3.5 but it ALWAYS comes back on reboot. It's broken stay away from Wnidows 8.1 until they find and fix it.

SOLUTION MAY BE TO OPEN AS ADMINISTRATOR

G

Nothing works for me. Running steam as administrator, compatibility mode steam still closes after login. So what? I need to wait for a update from MS of steam? I dualboot win 7 ultimate and win 8.1 pro, but I don't feel like rebooting when I wan't to play my steam games or origin games (I have windows 8.1 for BF4 because it runs it 2x better)

tbbennett2121

Reputable
Feb 15, 2014

Don't know if this will help you, but I've found that some of the Windows 8.1 weirdness (if NEELESH1998's 'Verify integrity of game cache' doesn't fix it) can be resolved by installing the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5. However, you HAVE to do it from within Windows 8/8.1: don't download the Framework because when you don't get compatibility warnings, you'll have the installer just stop and disappear. :-/

It's easy to install, though: you use the Windows feature, 'Turn Windows features on or off'. That brings up a list of features. Check the box that says ".NET Framework 3.5" (I also expand the selection and check the sub-item 'Windows HTTP Activation', but that's from experience with another issue). Windows will probably ask to pull down the files from Windows Update and then it'll handle the entire install for you. You'll want to reboot, and then try again.

Hope thate helps. More so, hope you're not still struggling months after your original post here. And that this info helps others.

Solution
G

Thanks for the reply, but the problem fixed itself. After a windows update steam started just fine and I can download all my games and everything is normal. Your post could be useful to others that have this problem and don't have my luck.

majorleaguekorean

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014

i have done everything i could on the internet that was suggested to me and all the "solutions" here. May i ask what "windows update" you got?
I am still not able to get into steam for about 3 weeks now after the windows 8.1 update. PLEASE HELP!

G

Well i don't know. One day windows did a automatic update and all was good.

Jhonny Valencia

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015
hi, i dont speak english well but i had that problem, I share my solution..... I had that problem when installing GTA V and steam did not return to work ... what I did was go to the folders and look GTA V installers who brings the game and install ... again Dirext and microsoft visual C + +2012 ... then reboot the pc steam returned to work