SteamVR Performance Test: 16 GPUs Compared

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

William Schnatz

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
Your score with the R9 380 seems way off. I just tested my MSI R9 380 Gaming 4G model that I have clocked at 1120 MHz and it got a fidelity score of 5.1.

blackbit75

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
I don't know why, NVidia cards, with much lower specs than Radeon, performs better in those tests.
Normally, in not Steam games, performance is more balanced between the two brands.
My neurotic mind, says that there is a benefit in optimization for NVidia in Steam.
[Yes, truly, I'm a fanboy of Radeon ;)]
Cheers,

KPalm The Wise

Reputable
Sep 7, 2015
I get 10.7 with my r9 295x2, pre Crimson drivers...
0% frames under 90
0% frames CPU bound

Seems stupid to run this test with Fraps on, that's effecting the score

KPalm The Wise

Reputable
Sep 7, 2015
Using the pre-crimson driver my r9 295x2 gets 10.7... No manual crossfire button, just ran it and get consistent 10.7... 0% frames under 0% 0% of frames CPU bound...

Wouldn't be surprised if Fraps is botching the comparison, fucking stupid to run the tests with it on

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

running fraps for framerate and frametime logging has no effect on the performance. This is how we test all GPUs.
Fraps only has a performance hit when recording video, which we were not doing for these tests.

As stated, there was something not working correctly with the crossfire performance in our testing. That could have been isolated to the board, or a driver. On an X99 system, the same card had significantly better performance, more in line with what you'd expect from that card.

Also, if you rerun the test, you'll likely get a different number. From my experience, the result the test spits out varies each time.

KPalm The Wise

Reputable
Sep 7, 2015

Have run the test multiple times, get exactly 10.7 every time... If you're getting significant changes your testing procedure is not valid

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

Lower fidelity graphics, lower resolution, and lower refresh rate.
most PSVR games will actually run at 60 FPS and use some sort of reprojection technology to double it to 120 Hz

Status
Not open for further replies.