Steel Series 6GV2 malfunction.

lobster123

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016
Hi!

I spilled a large cup of coffee with milk on my Steel Series 6GV2 keyboard so i had to open it up and clean as well as i could. After the incident the keyboard worked well for few months but now there are problems.

The keyboard gets disconnected randomly and windows 10 tells me the usb device has malfunctioned. I have to unplug the usb cable and reconnect it again in order to make it work again, ofc it does the same thing again shortly.

My real question is that what could cause it to break so that the effects of the coffee spilling occur months after the actual incident? I have also tested another usb keyboard and usb ports to make sure my MOBO is fine.

Solution
It may not be the device that is the culprit in your case and more so to do with your OS. Are you sure you're automatic device drivers updates feature is stopped? Have you ruled out your keyboard being the culprit by plugging it onto another machine and seeing if the same occurs there? Results would be better seen if you have secondary machine that isn't on Windows 10. Try and go into Device Manager and see if any device is flagged with a yellow exclamation mark. Remove said flagged device and rescan for hardware changes.

I could also suggest you try and perform a repair install for Windows 10 in case you've picked up a corruption. If the issue began after a mandatory windows update took place then you can try...

Lutfij

Titan
It may not be the device that is the culprit in your case and more so to do with your OS. Are you sure you're automatic device drivers updates feature is stopped? Have you ruled out your keyboard being the culprit by plugging it onto another machine and seeing if the same occurs there? Results would be better seen if you have secondary machine that isn't on Windows 10. Try and go into Device Manager and see if any device is flagged with a yellow exclamation mark. Remove said flagged device and rescan for hardware changes.

I could also suggest you try and perform a repair install for Windows 10 in case you've picked up a corruption. If the issue began after a mandatory windows update took place then you can try a system restore though repair install should take care of that prior to a need for system restore. Please be sure to back up your content before trying any of the above suggestions as Windows 10 can go belly up unexpectedly.

Are you sure your BIOS and remaining device drivers are up to date? Can you please pass on your full systems specs?

Solution