[SOLVED] SteelSeries Arctis 5 microphone and general sound issues

Jan 8, 2021
have recently upgraded my PC and encountered several issues which happen randomly and I cannot replicate them on my own other than wait for it to happen.
I use SteelSeries Arctis 5 Wired headphones which are USB ones. And randomly whether I'm gaming or not the mic stops working properly. By that I mean my mic sound becomes very stuttery and severely high pitched, basically a robotic 5 year old voice. Sometimes my mic does this, sometimes I lose sound in my headphones and sometimes both happen at the same time. What fixes the issue is changing the sound format back and forth and it functions normally until the next time it happens. I am fairly this is not a headset issue since when this happens I can still hear the Mic Sidetone (a feature in SteelSeries engine which allows me to hear my own voice very very slightly).

Specs:
AMD Ryzen 5600X
RTX 3070
ASRock B550M
16GB G.Skill 2x8GB 3600Mhz

Key points:

I have tried reinstalling soundcard drivers.

I have installed SteelSeries Engine.

The headphones are USB and they have their own soundcard.

Everything was fine before I upgraded my PC.

When the problem with mic occurs, I can still hear myself through SteelSeries Engine's Mic Sidetone feature.

The problem can be solved temporarily by changing a setting for the device. I have only tried enabling "Enable audio enhancements" and changing the default format back and forth.

I sometimes get this problem when Alt-Tabbing out of Dota 2 - the sound disappears for a few seconds and then microphone is messed up.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
What do you mean the sound goes bad?
In Discord when talking to other people?
Or in recordings/streams with software like OBS?
How exactly are you confirming that the sound goes bad?

Have you tried different USB ports?
Don't use front panel, and don't use any pass through ports (i.e. built into a keyboard, or monitor)
Use ports directly on the motherboard.
It's possible that either the USB port that connects to the piece with the knob on it is bad, or perhaps the piece with the knob is bad.

The mic seems to connect using it's own port on the headset, so when you enable the setting to listen to your own voice, all it's doing is telling the headset itself to just listen directly to it, and if it sounds fine then clearly the mic itself isn't the issue, but that doesn't mean that there isn't an issue with the USB cable part of it since the audio has to go through that first before it gets to the PC.

What version of Windows are you using?
I assume Windows 10, but what build?

T know your build easily, open start menu, type "winver" and press enter.

Jan 8, 2021
What do you mean the sound goes bad?
In Discord when talking to other people?
Or in recordings/streams with software like OBS?
How exactly are you confirming that the sound goes bad?

Have you tried different USB ports?
Don't use front panel, and don't use any pass through ports (i.e. built into a keyboard, or monitor)
Use ports directly on the motherboard.
It's possible that either the USB port that connects to the piece with the knob on it is bad, or perhaps the piece with the knob is bad.

The mic seems to connect using it's own port on the headset, so when you enable the setting to listen to your own voice, all it's doing is telling the headset itself to just listen directly to it, and if it sounds fine then clearly the mic itself isn't the issue, but that doesn't mean that there isn't an issue with the USB cable part of it since the audio has to go through that first before it gets to the PC.

What version of Windows are you using?
I assume Windows 10, but what build?

T know your build easily, open start menu, type "winver" and press enter.

Sound goes bad meaning that when I use VoIP software such as TeamSpeak or Discord my voice becomes full of stuttering and turns very high-pitched. Not sure about OBS, but I have also noticed that NVIDIA Shadowplay recordings have no sound in them, but I cannot confirm whether this is the cause, but since there is sound normally I would assume this is the cause.

I have tried several different USB port, all ports were on the motherboard.

And yes, I am using Windows 10, version 20H2, build 19042.685.

I have these headphones for over 6 months and when I used them on my old PC it was all fine so what's worrying is that it might be a hardware issue, could it not?

TRENDING THREADS