SteelSeries' GameSense Software Shows Health, Ammo Info Through Keyboard Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

mf Red

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Clever, but you don't look at your keyboard while playing CS

Correct, and is there really ever a good time to look at your keyboard? IMO, no, other than to appreciate how sexy it is, or to show it off to your geek friends.

coffeecoffee

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
As other users already stated that this is just a gimmick. Furthermore, I see no reason why other keyboards with individual LED controls can't mimic this with new software/driver(s). Lastly... out of all the games that can use this... they choose CS GO where milliseconds can determine victory/defeat; really SteelSeries? Should of gone with MMOs on this product for advertising; just my opinion.

G

The most surprising thing is they use a LISP variant to program.

I never liked backlit keyboards, but a lot of people complain when a keyboard isn't backlit. If you know how to type you never look at your keyboard.

dstarr3

Distinguished
I've got an old Logitech G15 with an LCD screen that shows whatever kind of information I can program on it. And a lot of games automatically display ammo and health and other things on it, but that's redundant because that's all on the screen anyway. What I use it for is system stats. CPU/GPU temps/usage, memory usage, et cetera. That's much more useful, especially when first setting up the graphics settings in a game.

You can even set up Fraps to display your current frames per second on it, but it's slightly less useful, as the screen only updates once a second or so.

billyboy999

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
You can even set up Fraps to display your current frames per second on it, but it's slightly less useful, as the screen only updates once a second or so.

I actually like the fraps display because it shows a graph of FPS over time - super useful for benchmarking, optimizing settings on a new game, etc. GPU/CPU monitors go on my 2nd monitor.
The G15 LCD is awesome, it's a shame that there aren't more companies making keyboards with an LCD display.

schnitter

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
You wouldn't be much of a good gamer if you didn't know where the keys are without looking at them, would you? This is just gimmick that adds unnecessary extra cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.