Question Steering Column & Electrical Madness ?

MajorPager

Upstanding
Aug 8, 2023
Hello all, I'm in need of some help. I've been working on a 1976 Chevrolet C20 Custom Deluxe for a few months now and now I'm stuck on reinstalling the steering wheel and some miscellaneous wiring. I would give photos but I won't be able to get back to the truck until Monday.

So to start off I had to turn the original wheel to the left to uninstall it, then I fiddled around with the firewall plate and ignition cables and removed it from the truck.
When I got the new column I threw it in and disassembled it, because we had no key for the new one and the wheel was locked in place.
After I got everything out I put the wheel back on and turned the wheels to as straight forward as they could be, the mark on the shaft spline was straight up and down in the center so I guess I must've done something right. It'll probably veer though.

But that was weeks ago, I barely remember what order the parts were in which is my problem.

Today I got the ignition cylinder out and put in an aftermarket one since I couldn't get the original column's one out, then I threw everything back together up until the locking plate.
Then I spent a half-hour trying to figure out where this miscellaneous bracket went to find out it was from the old column, very fun times.
Then I found out I didn't install the tension spring that keeps the center shaft from moving around, so I removed everything again and installed one of two different ones I had.

Now I need someone to tell me which spring should I / do I use? I had a short one and a long one, I used the short one which seemed to be fine but I want a confirmation that I did that right.

After that I got to installing the steering wheel, which here's the fun bit, I couldn't get half of anything past the locking plate on correctly.

What am I doing wrong? I can't get the wheel all the way pressed down, it's like a half-in away from the column when it's supposed to be half of a quarter-in away.
I also don't know what order to put on the horn assembly, I know a little bit, but there's a mysterious plastic ring that I don't know what to do with and the horn cover seems like it's on upside down on the inside? (I honestly don't know about the cover, I was running late at the time and was trying to get it finished quickly then.)
The thing was that the new column's horn didn't work until you took the cover off and pressed the switch, now the cover won't even move anywhere. It's supposed to move in and out but I may have put it on wrong during my hastiness to get it done, but I just don't know.

If anyone could find a diagram of this year's model it would be close enough to the new column. (I had someone go an get a new column for me so I don't know what year it is or what it came out of.) I've tried looking everywhere but nothing seems quite right, not even the tutorial videos.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other than the column could someone tell me what these wires are for? There's a yellow, black, and grey one behind the dash cluster and I don't quite know what they are for. I'm sure the yellow is a switched fuse box power wire, the black or grey one is either for the heater light or seatbelt warning but I don't remember which ones which.

Speaking of lights, why do only my center / top right main cluster, seatbelt warning, and right turn signal bulbs work? Any other bulb in the cluster doesn't power on despite me changing every single bulb and checking fuses. I'm supposed to get a new cluster soon anyway, but I'm not so sure if it's the cluster or an electrical issue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If any of you wanted to know, the engine was swapped, it came with it's own transmission which is why the steering column was replaced. Its not that bad of a truck, looks cool and all, its just so old and weathered that its falling apart, there's not even a floor in it just metal sheets. But that is exactly why we have restoration projects.

WOW! That was certainly a lot to write.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I know we have a Cars section, but this is a very detailed/involved request. You are asking a lot for a predominantly PC oriented forum. Good luck.

By the way, do you have the Chilton's manual for this beast?

MajorPager

Upstanding
Aug 8, 2023
I know we have a Cars section, but this is a very detailed/involved request. You are asking a lot for a predominantly PC oriented forum. Good luck
I know, but there's got to be at least some car oriented people out there. Although I will ask elsewhere too.

By the way, do you have the Chilton's manual for this beast?
I might have one but I'll still have to check the shop where I left the truck tomorrow, but for now this manual should do.

http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com/tec...t_Light_Truck_Service_Overhaul_Supplement.pdf

Looking through this actually kind of helped, although some stuff like about the engine is not needed for me.