Steve Ballmer Confirms Microsoft Will Do More Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

phamhlam

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Microsoft should make a standard laptop. It could be simple and work. No ugly screen, no crappy keyboard, big trackpad, crapware free, no annoyingly loud fan, and comes with Microsoft great build quality.

I however love the Surface Pro and if it comes out at $800, it feels like a true laptop replacement and desktop companion.

myromance123

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
So after they hid it from their partners about making their own device, now it seems almost like they are threatening their partners. Although this may possibly mean better hardware support and an overall experience if Microsoft make their own hardware, is it wise to shoo off the partners that helped keep them alive as a worldwide monopoly?

If Windows 8 does not do so well, things may start to build up into bigger problems later on.
This is solely my opinion however. I personally buy computers for their parts, not for their OS.

G

Yes welcome the new M$, Buy our hardware and get a ball and chain for free :) ! I'll stick with windows 7 until expiration, and dual boot Linux, I am sure before win 7 goes, most laptop OEMs will offer a choice of operating systems!

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
[citation][nom]ricdiculus[/nom]Welcome to AppleSoft. Raising a whole new batch of sheep. Great.[/citation]
Over 80% of the PC market uses Windows, I'm pretty sure they have enough sheeps to work with.

G

Yes and on the computer OEM's job board "Linux Driver software engineers wanted!, Top pay! great rewards". The head hunters and the lemo drivers are sanding by, with reservations at a 5 star restaurant!

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]phamhlam[/nom]Microsoft should make a standard laptop. It could be simple and work. No ugly screen, no crappy keyboard, big trackpad, crapware free, no annoyingly loud fan, and comes with Microsoft great build quality.I however love the Surface Pro and if it comes out at $800, it feels like a true laptop replacement and desktop companion.[/citation]
because it is a laptop... minus the built in keyboard.

[citation][nom]myromance123[/nom]So after they hid it from their partners about making their own device, now it seems almost like they are threatening their partners. Although this may possibly mean better hardware support and an overall experience if Microsoft make their own hardware, is it wise to shoo off the partners that helped keep them alive as a worldwide monopoly?If Windows 8 does not do so well, things may start to build up into bigger problems later on.This is solely my opinion however. I personally buy computers for their parts, not for their OS.[/citation]

i use windows for the programs, not the os. if linux made it easy to install, and had a crap ton of support from everything i want, i would move in a heart beet.

but microsoft... they aren't threatening their partners, they are getting sick of them making cheap crap and people comparing the full plastic laptop to the macbook pros.

they saw what the oems were doing with the tablet, face palmed hard, and decided they wanted to make a true competitor to ipad, and not have a cluster... cant say next word for sanctions... that is the android, where there is some great hardware, but so much crap too that it gives android a bad name.

with microsoft making their own tablet, they can say this is how you do it, either forcing oems to step up or get the hell off the platform.

[citation][nom]BreakThemRocks[/nom]Yes welcome the new M$, Buy our hardware and get a ball and chain for free ! I'll stick with windows 7 until expiration, and dual boot Linux, I am sure before win 7 goes, most laptop OEMs will offer a choice of operating systems![/citation]

yea, when a desktop can no longer be built by hand with the os installed by the user, that is when i will give up completely on microsoft, all this is is microsoft not wanting to fail because oems suck in the tablet space.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]myromance123[/nom]So after they hid it from their partners about making their own device, now it seems almost like they are threatening their partners. Although this may possibly mean better hardware support and an overall experience if Microsoft make their own hardware, is it wise to shoo off the partners that helped keep them alive as a worldwide monopoly?If Windows 8 does not do so well, things may start to build up into bigger problems later on.This is solely my opinion however. I personally buy computers for their parts, not for their OS.[/citation]

Well, or you could see them making very limited offerings into the hardware field and set a base image. Their version of saying "I remember when you guys went against our suggestion and sold ugly, uninspiring and poor performing PC's, despite our advice and counseling. This is our idea of how it should be done." They just needed to set a quality baseline, so other's can follow. Part of the whole marketable image kerfuffle.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
meh...
I have never had any M$ branded hardware other than a Mouse and a Keyboard....
I don't think that this will ever change for me.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I for one am glad they are doing this. Their "partners" need a little encouragement to either step up their game, or get the hell out of the way, considering all the cheap garbage they have thrown out at us consumers for so many years. Its honestly a wake up call they needed a LONG time ago.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Just FYI, there will be no Lumia Surface phone, nor will Nokia be a "white box" manufacturer to one. There will likely be a surface phone though, and Foxconn will likely be the manufacturer.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
If they do get into this heavily they had better remember NO CRAPWARE and keep build quality high. They have the resources, I have high expectations. I want them to make a lot of the other manufacturers step up their game, I am greatly annoyed with the amount of crapware in machines and build quality from some of these manufacturers.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Bloob[/nom]Just FYI, there will be no Lumia Surface phone, nor will Nokia be a "white box" manufacturer to one. There will likely be a surface phone though, and Foxconn will likely be the manufacturer.[/citation]

Surface Phone? What?....Windows Phone 8 is basically Windows 8, without the features that wouldn't work on a phone. Ehm?

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
You know, i think the biggest 3 mistakes they made with the Surface tablets are:
1) $100/£100 for a not-really-very-good keyboard?
2) Tegra 3? Why not use Krait?
3) No Clover Trail tablet for the same price as the RT. Perhaps they shouldn't have even made a Surface RT , only a Clover Trail based one and the Surface Pro.

zakaron

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
I was really hoping to read the article and see that they are bringing back their Sidewinder hardware series. Microsoft has always been a software company first and foremost, but they did make some good peripherals in their brief hardware entry. I'm still using my reliable optical IntelliMouse. I wonder how many miles that mouse has traveled across my mouse pad over the years...

Status
Not open for further replies.