Steve Ballmer: With 100M Users, Dropbox is a 'Little Startup'

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The last paragraph sums it all up. This guy has no idea what he's talking about.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Except that Ballmer leaves out an important fact:

If your a live user, your being counted as a Skydrive user whether you like it or not!

No wonder MS is crashing....

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Typical spin story - after reading the interview it seems like any CEO propping up his own product while acknowledging the competition. Maybe I'm a little ambivalent to this type of stuff - but do you think CISCO, SAP, IBM, etc. would say something different if asked about a similar positioned company to their business?

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
And out of those 200mil how many actually use Skydrive ? i have 3 skydrive enabled accounts and i use exactly 0 out of that .... i do how ever use Dropbox...

namecnassianer

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
do you think CISCO, SAP, IBM, etc. would say something different if asked about a similar positioned company to their business?

Yes, I do. IBM has or had a strict policy against disparaging the competition.

It's known as class, a word which does not appear to be in Mr. Ballmer's dictionary.

[citation][nom]jimmyjohnz[/nom]So by logic of Ballmer's previous comments, Dropbox will be dominating the field of cloud storage in the next few years.[/citation]

Dominating a market, and being the most profitable entity in a market are two different things. Dropbox is awesome but they're currently burning through investor capital without taking in a ton of revenue. They're going to be in a tough spot if they aren't financially stable when the VCs want to pull out. Other more established companies have also taken notice of Dropbox's success and created product plans that are either more affordable than Dropbox, or more varied than Dropbox.

Their marketing team has some serious work to do if they don't want to get pushed out of the market that they helped create.

i don't know... for me Dropbox has been a revelation. It has single-handled changed how i run my office computers, do my IT job, and in general it integrates every device I've got seamlessly.

Till i see another cloud storage solution as simple, unobtrusive and error free Dropbox will be the only cloud solution for me. I used to use Skydrive... i don't anymore.

AndreT

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2012
"Well, you've got to remember, 100 million sounds like a pretty small number to me, actually,"

And just how many Windows 8 users are we at now Mr. Ballmer? Not licenses shipped and sitting on a shelf but actual users.

100 million sounds like a pretty big number now doesn't it?

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
How many iOS or Android users are there compared to Windows Mobile OSs?
hmm... Mr. Ballmer you're not even a startup by your definition when it comes to mobile devices.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Maybe I'll be horribly wrong, but it seems to me that in few years dropbox won't be relevant. (I currently use dropbox everyday and love it)

Back when apple was creating iCloud they offered dropbox a very large amount of money to be a significant part of the new service (I think it was around a billion $ offered?). Dropbox refused, which I respect, they want to pave their own way in the world, which they already have done to a certain extent.

However, since they started up pretty much everyone offers cloud storage natively. MS has Skydrive, Apple has iCloud, Google has Google Drive, etc. In the future I can't see to many people bothering to install dropbox when their device already has native support for a different cloud storage system.

I think dropbox does things the best currently, but it's potential customers are becoming narrower everyday. Mega just started up and his offering 50 GB for free. I've worked on my dropbox account for years (free version) and have grown it from 2 GB to 22.4 GB currently.

tl;dr: dropbox is a great service, but with every major company offering native cloud storage now, I can't see dropbox having nearly as many customers in the future, even if they do offer some of the best features.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I wish I could be around Ballmer all the time. Not because I like the guy but rather I would start a drinking game. Anytime he says something stupid you take a swig. Guaranteed to get hammered everytime.

diddo

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]dropbox is a great service, but with every major company offering native cloud storage now, I can't see dropbox having nearly as many customers in the future, even if they do offer some of the best features.[/citation]
It may turn out to be an advantage as soon as users start figuring out 80% of development of major companies is about improving walls in the garden and don't let you files, contact, mails etc to flawlessly flow from you android phone, your ipad and your winpc.
Once upon a time there were proprietary file formats lockin, now the game is pwning users data, not helping them to jump fences with competitors.
imho, if well played, dropbox neutrality may be something to use profitably with some segments of users.

Status
Not open for further replies.