Steve Jobs Named FT's Person of the Year

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince_Porter

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
"That means pushing relentlessly forward rather than milking old successes – even ones as significant as the iPod."

Wait, what? Apple DOESN'T milk the hell out of their products, ESPECIALLY the iPod? Whoever wrote this article has no idea what they're talking about. For such a gigantic company, that has been around for so long, Apple doesn't have too many successful products. I'm pretty sure they only thing keeping them alive (aside from the iPad, which I don't like, but is new), is the fact that they ONLY milk their old products.

As for Steve himself, great PR man, but not an inventor from what I've read. He's a great leader, but he's no genius.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
I clicked on this to see what FT was...not what I thought.(My version wasn't very nice) Congrats to you Mr. Jobs, your cult numbers are growing!

arlandi

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
Apple Inc. as a company made a lot of money during Jobs leadership as CEO. Of course the products came from the thinking of a lot of engineers, product designers etc. but it was Jobs that make it possible for those products to enter the market and sell. i really think he deserves that award, though.
btw, i'm not an Apple fanboy...

now in other news, Google just donated 1 Million Bucks!!
that counted more than an award by some magazines in my book. even if that donation is for marketing their browser.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I'd say he deserves being on FT's person of the year, he is a great ceo and doign good pr and marketing for mac products

i'll qualify that i'd be up in arms if he was somehow on a TECH magazine as a person of the year other than a mac centric magazine.

he's a talking head on the front of mac, mac does what it does, takes what otehr scompanies are doing, simplify it so anybody can use it, put it in a shiny pretty case and sell it for a giant profit... thats what they do, and as a buisness model thats great... he has abig following of peopel who are fans because they can use the simple gui's that is also great

pplease ntoe that i'm only hailing the buisness side as i only own one product, a 160 gig ipod classic because i won it, not that i'd actually pay the premium as i understand how to navigate a more sophisticated gui or at least read a manual.. nwo when a cluelss friend wants a pc for word documents internet and to hook up a pinter or camera you can bet i'm gonna point em at a mac if i don't think they can figure out how to install drivers for printers or cameras(though windows 7 does this well enough its still not a fluid imo, one of my roomates has macs for this reason he plugs stuff in and it works and thats all he is capable of doing with a computer)

deanjo

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
[citation][nom]decrypted[/nom]Unless you mean ripping off the ideas from Xerox, then you are correct.[/citation]

OK, first of all Xerox did not know what they had until Steve decided put it to real use. Secondly, every GUI that came out also "ripped off" xerox. I put "ripped off" in quotes as other vendors used their ideas with Xerox's blessing.

deletemach_kernel

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
[citation][nom]deanjo[/nom]OK, first of all Xerox did not know what they had until Steve decided put it to real use. Secondly, every GUI that came out also "ripped off" xerox. I put "ripped off" in quotes as other vendors used their ideas with Xerox's blessing.[/citation]

You mean Apple stole it! period......makes no difference....for all you know apple may have something they have no idea about until someone else comes and steals it.........

but wait they patent...even stevie boys S**t......

Yes every Gui that came out ripped off xerox....that because just like steve.....even bill gates had an idea of using it....... everyone ripped off each other.....

but he deserves the award.....beacause contrary to popular belief.....here is apple.....a "closed system" as far as its products are concerned...that has turned an entire genereation into idroids... buying whatever they sell to them.......

non - compatibility and non -upgradeable...........

and I am an apple fanboy...but wont buy any of their stufff......too pricey for what they offer....

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
It's amazing how many losers there are like "applegetsmelaid" and "lradunovic77"... Oh well, I guess we have to scroll through their trolls too...

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
Ford's CEO should have received it, they took a American car manufacture out of the automotive dump with out using our money, and provided a quality product for decent prices. But they gave into a man who capitalized on tricking people into buying a bigger version of their previous product and over charge for hardware that can be found in their competitor's systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.