Steve Wozniak: Scene in Steve Jobs Movie is Inaccurate

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Jobs was a marketting genius, but an ass as anything else. I imagine this movie will have him down as a visionary.

His ability to sell shit at a hugely inflated price seems to have been innate.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
So according to Wozniak, Jobs was basically a used car salesman in a nutshell. Just what I thought all along.
Mac Pro is a textbook example of it. Put 1-2 generations old hardware in a shiny case, add some cheap drives in, rename them to make them seem more expensive (SuperDrive... really?) and sell it all for more than what competitors price their machines with current gen hardware.
Truly innovative... from a marketing point of view at least. :)

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]SchizoFrog[/nom]This is a movie about the life of the leader of a company who has possibly done more for modern day technology, especially mobile technology than anyone else who died at, as some would say 'at the peak of his prime'. So I don't think it is too much of a stretch to see the connection.However, the story is a weak one at best and not worthy of journalism full stop. I mean, a movie, got something, a little wrong? Oh no... That has never happened before... ever.[/citation]
The key term is "possibly". I have always deeply admired Wozniak. If there's one human left on this planet who knows EXACTLY what a self-pompous liar (yes, liar) Jobs was, that's Wozniak. Look, many of us have amazing ideas about things - now couple that with money, timing and opportunity, and voila, Steve Jobs doesn't quite look so stellar all of a sudden. He doesn't quite show up for the party until plenty of others start the process of defining the "modern" computer and the near-future potential of computers. He was always opportunistic, which the business person in me can fully respect and appreciate, but wow, did he ever fool some of you into thinking he was the man behind it all...

[citation][nom]SchizoFrog[/nom]This is a movie about the life of the leader of a company who has possibly done more for modern day technology, especially mobile technology than anyone else who died at, as some would say 'at the peak of his prime'. So I don't think it is too much of a stretch to see the connection.[/citation]
Take it easy, buddy, and don't hit your toes in your living room if you hit SJ's statue. [citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]The key term is "possibly". I have always deeply admired Wozniak. If there's one human left on this planet who knows EXACTLY what a self-pompous liar (yes, liar) Jobs was, that's Wozniak. Look, many of us have amazing ideas about things - now couple that with money, timing and opportunity, and voila, Steve Jobs doesn't quite look so stellar all of a sudden. He doesn't quite show up for the party until plenty of others start the process of defining the "modern" computer and the near-future potential of computers. He was always opportunistic, which the business person in me can fully respect and appreciate, but wow, did he ever fool some of you into thinking he was the man behind it all...[/citation]
That sums it up nicely. Remember though, some people idolatrize SJ and they are opaque to any reason.

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Soda-88[/nom]So according to Wozniak, Jobs was basically a used car salesman in a nutshell. Just what I thought all along.Mac Pro is a textbook example of it. Put 1-2 generations old hardware in a shiny case, add some cheap drives in, rename them to make them seem more expensive (SuperDrive... really?) and sell it all for more than what competitors price their machines with current gen hardware.Truly innovative... from a marketing point of view at least.[/citation]

Wrong.. Apple hardware at date of release were and are allways top technology at release date AND with the Right Pricing.

their only problem is that they update every 2 years...

so never buy an Apple peoduct that is not new .

price wise it is 100% fair. but some people want to buy a 50$ case , and some buy a Lian -Li 350$ case , and Apple case IS Expensive.

electronic hardware wise it is SAME Price ! ...

just when you calculate dont be biased and choose SAME QUALITY hardware .

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]phatboe[/nom]I can't wait to see the movies about Bill Gates and Linus Torvalds and Dennis Ritchie[/citation]
The Bill Gates one will probably also be after he dies at the age of 167, by which time he will have eradicated Polio, TB or Malaria, donated a $trillion to charities and by given Sainthood by the Pope for humanitarian work. Beat that Jobs, ya snake oil salesman!

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
[citation][nom]nikojagochi[/nom]Ashton can't act... This sucks...Ashton is always playing Kelso,.. the scenes with Ashton in any series/movie/whatever look Kelso-dumbAshton as Jobs just can't work...There's a decade old movie about Jobs and Bill Gates, it's lower budget, but it's really good.This looks like a poor marketing attempt to earn some money off of Jobs death before people start forgetting him...[/citation]

Pirates of Silicon Valley, low budget film, and probably a lot closer to the truth. At least Zuckerberg knows hes an douchebag and let the movie portray it.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It's a MOVIE people, NOT a documentary ... heck even documentaries get the facts wrong. This is something to entertain, NOT FACT!! I only hope those that watch Hollywood productions do actually understand they are not real, just fictional?? Right? Please say yes?

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]nuclearshadow[/nom]Can we all agree and be thankful for that the clip wasn't full of car chases and explosions?[/citation]

No. At least car chases and explosions would have been entertaining.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]V8VENOM[/nom]It's a MOVIE people, NOT a documentary ... heck even documentaries get the facts wrong. This is something to entertain, NOT FACT!! I only hope those that watch Hollywood productions do actually understand they are not real, just fictional?? Right? Please say yes?[/citation]

You can't hide behind that when a large portion of any given population are willing to believe what they see in a movie based on actual people and actual events.

If it's not accurate, it damn well shouldn't be advertised as so and should in fact be advertised as the opposite.

kitekrazy1963

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
[citation][nom]unksol[/nom]I don't think anyone expected a movie about jobs to be honest or accurate, and I don't think the kinds of people who would see it want it to be either. They'd be sorely disappointed. Its unfortunate, but expected, that jobs would be assigned all the credit. That's kinda his thing[/citation]

That's why they make movies about people when they are dead. They can't defend themselves.

Why would I watch a biographical movie if they can't get the basic facts right?

I'd far rather watch an independent documentary of Jobs' life and read iWoz. In fact, I will and doubt that I'll watch this movie.

Hopefully the OTHER bigger-budget movie of Jobs that's coming will be better.

phraun

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2006
[citation][nom]V8VENOM[/nom]It's a MOVIE people, NOT a documentary ... heck even documentaries get the facts wrong. This is something to entertain, NOT FACT!! I only hope those that watch Hollywood productions do actually understand they are not real, just fictional?? Right? Please say yes?[/citation]

The issue is it's going to be TAKEN as fact by untold millions. This is one of those things that should have been made the right way, or not made at all.

G

Just let Jobs rest in peace. No more idolizing or pretending about how good of a man he was. Let the memory of this man's existence slowly fade away as we try to repair the damage he has done.

To the friend's and family of Jobs: You have my condolences.
To everyone else: Can it. Go find yourselves a new hero.

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
[citation][nom]photonboy[/nom]Why would I watch a biographical movie if they can't get the basic facts right?I'd far rather watch an independent documentary of Jobs' life and read iWoz. In fact, I will and doubt that I'll watch this movie.Hopefully the OTHER bigger-budget movie of Jobs that's coming will be better.[/citation]

Get Samsung to sponsor a more 'accurate' movie. I am sure they would throw money at it.

basketcase87

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]Jobs was a marketting genius, but an ass as anything else. I imagine this movie will have him down as a visionary.His ability to sell shit at a hugely inflated price seems to have been innate.[/citation]I like to think of him as the real life version of Chris Farley's Dad in Tommy Boy (crossed with a gigantic asshole). "He could sell a ketchup Popsicle to a woman in white gloves!"

ven1ger

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
[citation][nom]guardianangel42[/nom]You can't hide behind that when a large portion of any given population are willing to believe what they see in a movie based on actual people and actual events.If it's not accurate, it damn well shouldn't be advertised as so and should in fact be advertised as the opposite.[/citation]

Considering the majority of the population, I gotta say no matter what you do, they'll believe what they believe.

Seriously, how many times do you have to be told that just because you saw it on TV doesn't mean its true or works (ads). Or what about if you read it from a magazine that was at the grocery counter during checkout it probably isn't true. Sometimes I think the average intelligence of people is sloping down instead of trending the other way.

It's a movie and not a documentary, there is something called creative license, so what if it isn't entirely true, it's not a documentary, so watch it only for its entertainment value and read Wozniak's book if you want to find out more.

Status
Not open for further replies.