News 'Sticky' AMD Ryzen Processors Got You Down? ProArtist's New Bracket Has You Covered

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I would actually like to get my hands on one of these. Recently, I experienced the very incident this device is meant to prevent. The result was about an hour of effort to straighten several pins.

dmitche31958

Reputable
Aug 13, 2019
Yes. I want it. Hving a bad MOBO from ASUS, which they refused to acknowledge after 2 months of ownership I replaced the MOBO. Getting the CPU/Fan off of the board was a real pain as I couldn't get the fan off the CPU. I had to take both off as one unit and be careful not to damage it.

And yes, I got some paste on the pins but that turned out to be easier to fix than this issue is.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
I don't want to assume anything, but shouldn't running a very high load on the cpu and twisting the heatsink during removal be enough?

I have Liquid metal applied right now so I'm assuming it'll be a challenge when it's time to upgrade.

Reactions: RodroX

Nightseer

Prominent
Jun 12, 2020
Or just turn PC on for a bit to preheat paste and then before pulling out, just twist a cooler a bit to loosen seal thermal paste makes. Or option B, use dental floss to cut it, which also releases that seal. Though I personally never had much issue even if I pulled CPU out. As long as it goes straight up, there shouldn't be any bent pins. It is bit scary first time it happens though. So now I occasionally do this to scare other people when I am fixing their PC... :-D

So unless it comes with a cooler or motherboard or CPU, I am going to pass.

Reactions: vinay2070
Jul 1, 2020
I registered just to ask this question, related to this comment in the article:
While the AM4 socket is perhaps the longest-lived socket in x86 history, supporting more chips than we can recall from any other single socket...

Socket 7???

Heck, AMD was the one responsible for keeping Socket 7 alive for LONG after Intel tried to kill it off!

In fact, I don't think Socket 7 officially 'died' until 2015 with AMD's Geode processors!

If a mounting system that came with a cooler included this feature, it could be a nice touch. Paying extra to get the hardware on its own seems a bit pointless though. If one knows about the possibility of this happening when removing a cooler, they will probably also know of the steps they can take to prevent it from happening without the need for a bracket.

vinay2070

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
This happened to me when I first tried to remove the 3700X from the mobo. Happened with the stock thermal paste that came with the AMD HSF. Hasnt happened with Arctic Silver 5 though. I was really scared when I saw the processor coming off. Thought I damanaged something on the motherboard. Thankfully, both were fine :)

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, Socket 7 was around for a long time, but it wasn't really consumer-relevant for most of its history, which I think is the meaning here. Otherwise, we could say that a "giant box" is the longest supported CPU socket since a giant box can still hold punch cards.

Paul17041993

Honorable
Dec 1, 2014
One slight problem however, AMD already patented a locking brace for the original AM4 socket, and they abandoned it for the final version.

The reason? well, if you think about it, the IHS on the package doesn't have any lips on it, does it?
... you're effectively attempting to separate the IHS from the package in the most destructive way possible...

Just tug the heatsink/block straight up. The socket doesn't "hold" the CPU down in a way you might be thinking, all the latch does is put sheering pressure on the pins to create contact, sliding the pins out is a non-issue. In fact it's not really any different to any other common pin plug, the only reason the lever exists is to allow for easy insertion without accidentally skewing the CPU on the socket. You can still force it back in however if you really wanted to, didn't harm my AM3+ at all doing that.

Sep 7, 2020
Solution to problems that shouldn't exist are not solutions... I experienced this none sense trying to remove a stock amd cooler and going custom, the socket is just weak sauce.